Regulator - do I need another o-ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratbastrd05

Reaction score
I found a bunch of threads on leaking CO2 tanks but wanted to provide a picture to sanity check myself...

regulator-connection-62998.jpg

This is my regulator gas connection. Do I need to use the separate nylon O-rings that come when I get a tank refill? Or does that white plastic part (it's removable) on the end work as an o-ring? Guy at the gas store said not to use the o-ring if my regulator has one... I'm not sure if this does the job.

I just lost a tank due to leakage.... I also can't seem to get the connection to not leak with or without the o-ring. Just applied some keg lube and I still see bubbles when I spray with star-san.

Same question, same problem (possibly same regulator). Can I use teflon tape even though there is the nylon gasket?

How about the original question? With a connection as displayed, do you put another o-ring/gasket in your connection from the tank to the regulator?

I didn't add anything to mine, think instructions on mine just said to leave it if the gasket is still there. I have experience with compressed CO2 & O2 systems, teflon tape is your friend, compressed gases find it pretty easy to find those microscopic gaps.

Edit: After seeing wilserbrewer comment below, he is right the teflon tape may not be the solution in your particular situation, I have a taprite regulator that has worked great since the beginning, though I taped all my joints right off the start.

I have a similar regulator and haven't found a source for the nylon washer gasket.

I have found using a fiber washer will make a seal.

That is a compression type fitting where the threads do notable the seal, so Teflon tape may not be the solution.

Check well for leaks!!!

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401113525.577144.jpg

These are what I was given at my gas supply house. They did not have the specific nylon fitted seals. These get crushed b/w the mating surface of the regulator and the tank.

Takes a fair torque to seat the washer. I must admit I'm a bit timid with my new 20 pound tank and have been shutting off the gas when idle out of fear.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Back