Registration for nationals is now up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used one, does it fill the bottle to the top like a bottling wand and leave headspace when removed? If so then the headspace has oxygen in it. My method of a tiny bit of foam to purge the air doesn't. Just sayin.;) imperfect bottle filling.:D

The beergun has a CO2 purging function. You purge the bottle with the pull of a trigger, then fill. When you pull the beergun out, it leaves the right amount of headspace. You then give it a little shot of CO2 at the surface or just below, like the big boys. Perfect bottling.

The beergun has a CO2 purging function. You purge the bottle with the pull of a trigger, then fill. When you putt the beergun out, it leaves the right amount of headspace. You then give it a little shot of CO2 at the surface or just below, like the big boys. Perfect bottling.

You don't even have to give the second shot of cco2. Because it is heavier than the regular air and you've already purged th bottle, co2 will still be sitting on the top of the beer, and the headspace left is pretty much the same as commercial beer. Ideally we'd all have bottling lines, but the Beer Gun is a great tool.

You don't even have to give the second shot of cco2. Because it is heavier than the regular air and you've already purged th bottle, co2 will still be sitting on the top of the beer, and the headspace left is pretty much the same as commercial beer. Ideally we'd all have bottling lines, but the Beer Gun is a great tool.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you are filling to the top with the gun nozzle in, then pulling the nozzle out and thereby creating the headspace, you would have chased out any remaining CO2 and the headspace would be regular air.

Edit: I bought a beergun six months ago and have yet to assemble it, so I'm not speaking from experience. Just seems logical to me.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you are filling to the top with the gun nozzle in, then pulling the nozzle out and thereby creating the headspace, you would have chased out any remaining CO2 and the headspace would be regular air.

Oh, well there's logic for you. I suppose you're right about that. Typically there's enough foam there to keep me satisfied though. Your beer is also releasing gas until you cap, so I'm not too concerned. I've never had an oxygenation issue.

Oh, well there's logic for you. I suppose you're right about that. Typically there's enough foam there to keep me satisfied though. Your beer is also releasing gas until you cap, so I'm not too concerned. I've never had an oxygenation issue.

Probably no concern as you say, but that little spritz on top is a simple move and part of my bottling routine. Give it a try.

When you remove the wand/cane the level in the bottle goes down...something has to replace that volume of liquid at the top of the bottle and unless you do something about it it's gonna be air. But most of that is prob quickly purged out.

Anybody know what a standard 'competition pour' is? Some brews seem more finicky about how you pour them and I was curious if there is a 'standard competition pour' that all the judges are supposed to perform. I'd like to know so I can try to simulate that pour at home and see what kind of presentation it yields.

Probably no concern as you say, but that little spritz on top is a simple move and part of my bottling routine. Give it a try.

I absolutely will. Sometimes my brain doesn't like working through all the steps, and that one makes total sense.

When you remove the wand/cane the level in the bottle goes down...something has to replace that volume of liquid at the top of the bottle and unless you do something about it it's gonna be air. But most of that is prob quickly purged out.

Anybody know what a standard 'competition pour' is? Some brews seem more finicky about how you pour them and I was curious if there is a 'standard competition pour' that all the judges are supposed to perform. I'd like to know so I can try to simulate that pour at home and see what kind of presentation it yields.

Generally about 1 1/2 inches in a plastic cup, enough to produce a head. The problem with visual is that aroma is the first field filled out on the scoresheet, with appearance second. It's only worth 3 points though.

Score: Got a first with a co-brewed Marzen in first round. :)

Category 3 European Amber Lager
Sponsored by How to Brew by John Palmer
1 3b Matthew Bourbeau, Larry Konis of Woodland Hills, CA, Maltose Falcons Home Brewing Society
2 3a Harold Gulbransen of San Diego, CA, QUAFF
3 3b Craig Corley of Santa Monica, CA, Pacific Gravity Home Brewers Club

Score: Got a first with a co-brewed Marzen in first round. :)

Category 3 European Amber Lager
Sponsored by How to Brew by John Palmer
1 3b Matthew Bourbeau, Larry Konis of Woodland Hills, CA, Maltose Falcons Home Brewing Society
2 3a Harold Gulbransen of San Diego, CA, QUAFF
3 3b Craig Corley of Santa Monica, CA, Pacific Gravity Home Brewers Club

Yay! You beat QUAFF!

Back