Refrigerator Water Filter Replacements?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidmark

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Debated which forum to post this in, but here goes ...

The Squeeze's refrigerator water filter will be needing replacement soon. The OEM GE MFL filters are $40, which seems high for a housing and some charcoal. Anyone have experience with the clone filters? Any safe ones? Rather not have Chinese export toxic waste in the water supply!

TIA!

I get mine from amazon. The brand is a Canadian company called Swift Green Filters. I found they are cheaper if you buy a 3 pack.

Amazon is definitely the way to go for fridge filters. A/C filters, too, if you have the thick ones (4"-5").

I don't know about your water quality, and if filtering is needed or wanted.

But I found the best way is to ignore the filter. I haven't replaced it at all since I got the fridge 7 years ago.

If you have an RO system (<$200), you can feed your fridge from that, and make good brewing water, drinking water, cooking water etc. too.

I don't know about your water quality, and if filtering is needed or wanted.

But I found the best way is to ignore the filter. I haven't replaced it at all since I got the fridge 7 years ago.

If you have an RO system (<$200), you can feed your fridge from that, and make good brewing water, drinking water, cooking water etc. too.

Since I've started brewing I've wondered how different food would taste with something other then my tap water. I haven't looked into an RO system yet but if it's less then 200 it wound definitely pay for itself in 2 years of fridge filters.

Since I've started brewing I've wondered how different food would taste with something other then my tap water. I haven't looked into an RO system yet but if it's less then 200 it wound definitely pay for itself in 2 years of fridge filters.

There's a forum sponsor, Buckeye Hydro, who sells RO systems and has great feedback.

A small domestic RO system may be the better overall solution, again, depending on your water quality and its suitability for brewing. I'm considering one too, although our water here is already quite soft, has very manageable alkalinity, and allegedly doesn't fluctuate all that much... a water testing kit costs about as much as such an RO system that removes all those variables.

It is just a block of carbon/charcoal in the filter. No need to replace unless you see an obvious slowing of water which may indicate it getting blocked.

I've replaced mine once in 15 years, and when I cut the thing up and found a block of carbon in it, I figured I wasted my money replacing it the,

I do however have another carbon filter upstream of the fridge, which gets replaced every few months. It is in the line for all my drinking water.

Debated which forum to post this in, but here goes ...

The Squeeze's refrigerator water filter will be needing replacement soon. The OEM GE MFL filters are $40, which seems high for a housing and some charcoal. Anyone have experience with the clone filters? Any safe ones? Rather not have Chinese export toxic waste in the water supply!

TIA!
Check out Groupon, too. They frequently have them for very good prices.
Cannot remember my last order but I purchased several.

:off: Just ordered your wife's book from Amazon Unlimited. $0.00 Sounds like a good read. Hope she sells some for money.
:off:All the books are great but the critics liked the Troop of Shadows Chronicles best. It won 1st place in the Science Fiction category of the Electronic Publishers Industry Coalition (EPIC) competition for 2017.

Normal price is $3.99 so you must be a Kindle Unlimited customer to get it for free.

Thank you.

Back