Water Filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Jeff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering adding a filtration system to my setup.
I have the whole house cartridge system in mind, using a charcoal filter for the water and a spun polyester filter for the beer, if I decide to filter it. Something similar to this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pentek-1...gclid=CNaWy46UzNICFRy2wAodDOQHgg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Since the filter is designed for "whole house usage" with periodic filter replacement, I figure with only running 20-40 gallons of water for either a single or double batch, that the filter cartridge should last for years. The polyester one should as well, since I rarely need to filter my beer.

I am on Harvest-Monrovia Water System, being delivered ground/spring water all times of the year.

Questions,
How to you care for the cartridge?
Just take it out and let it dry?
How do you store it?
Do they need to be back-flushed or will that mess it up?

As to the polyester cartridge, after usage, toss it or can it be adequately cleaned, knowing it will have yeast and/or hop material in it?
Back flush, soak in lye, or oxy/pbw, rinse, sanitize?

Could you tell an identifiable difference when you implemented filtering?
If so what?

Any other things to be aware of?

But then, if it's not a problem, why fix something that's not broken?

The charcoal filter should be fine for your water, just read the directions and flush the filter before first use.
I went a bit heavy with my source water and bought a RO system off of ebay that works great.

Few people on here filter beer, I have thought about it but haven't done it. Yeast cells are 3-4 microns so if you want to filter yeast you need a 1 micron filter.
These are pretty cheap, I have seen them $2 a piece. I would run some starsan through it to flush it before filtering the beer. Toss the filter in the trash afterwards.

Back