refrigerator question!?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejamesnelson

Reaction score
I just picked up a used refrigerator that i am going to use for lagering, my question is, Can i remove or drill holes in the wall between the freezer and the refrigerator? the fridge half seems that it isn't getting that cold, so im hoping that some holes will help. Any help would be appreciated.

You need to ensure your refrigerator does NOT have any cooling coils where you will be drilling. If you drill through one of those you could ruin your fridge, and that wouldn't be sweet.

I'd look in the manual, if you still have it, to find where the coils are.

i dont have a manual, I bought it out of the bargin area at menards, for 9 dollars. Its a newer fridgidair gallery series if that helps anybody

frost-free refrigerators have refrigerant tubing and electric defrost elements in the space between the refrigerator and freezer compartments, so be careful... it's best to do as much dissassembly as possible before you start cutting holes, usually the floor of the freezer compartment is removable in some way, but all makes and models are different.... ymmv

frost-free refrigerators have refrigerant tubing and electric defrost elements in the space between the refrigerator and freezer compartments, so be careful... it's best to do as much dissassembly as possible before you start cutting holes, usually the floor of the freezer compartment is removable in some way, but all makes and models are different.... ymmv

Dang as I have a 12 year old Sears Kenmore 22 cu/ft side by side. I was thinking the divider was just that without anything inside. I'll Dremel out the panel then probe my way thru the insulation. No PSST sound I hope.

My kegerator is a CL cheapie. The fan that blows cold air into the refrigerator section went out, so the previous owner cut a hole between the top, freezer section and the bottom refrigerator section.

I enlarged the hole, cleaned up the edges, and added a grill with brackets that covers the hole.

My kegs sit in the bottom, and the top holds bottles.

YMMV, so make sure there are no coils between the sections.

Back