Refrigerator not cooling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollinsBrew

Reaction score
Just a quick question. My refrigerator that I'm using for a kegerator is the standard freezer on top and I'm afraid that the frig part is not cooling like it's suppose to. The freezer is working really well because I'm using it for extra freezing space for meat and whatever won't fit in the freezer in my kitchen. I thought with these type of refrigerators that the bottom part was cooled by a vent from the freezer part. Could there be something blocking the cool air from getting down there?

This may solve the problem and may seem pretty stupid to some but I did put a 1/4" hole in the side for my gas line and for the last few weeks that hole has been open because I had to replace all of the lines. Shamefully it took me that long to get around to it and the frig has been bleeding cold air through that hole since then. Who knows, maybe I just fixed my own problem by plugging that hole and thus the point of this thread is moot!!!

alot of cool air can be lost through that little hole.

modern fridges do not vent air form the freezer, to cool the fridge. They each have their own freon lines, and circulate fluid to the part that needs the cooling.

Plug that hole up (I used expanding foam) and you should see a difference. if it is still not cooling properly, check if there is any condencation in the fridge near the seals, that is a sign of an air leak.

I plugged the hole today when I put the new lines in my kegerator. The gas line going in is sealed with a rubber grommet that I used on the inner wall of the frig and a second one on the outer wall.

Figured it out! The fan motor in the freezer has pretty much crapped out which is why the freezer is cold and the fridge part is not getting cold. This is an older refrigerator so the bottom half is cooled by airflow from the freezer via this blower. Now, I have to find a replacement...maybe a local appliance repair store would have one.

Edit: I'm going to need that motor eventually but I went ahead and sprayed some silicone lubricant on the fan mechanism and loosened it up and while I was sitting here typing the earlier post, the motor came to life!

Latest posts

Back