Refrigerator compressors and tilting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReeseAllen

Reaction score
I received a free full-size kitchen fridge today which I am going to convert into a kegerator. Trouble is, it was trucked to my house on its side. My understanding is that this will cause problems with the compressor, which is only designed to work in its upright orientation.

I've heard that I can avoid problems by letting it settle for awhile in its upright position before plugging it back in. My question is...how long is awhile? An hour? A day? A week? I've got two full fermenters of beer ready and I want to get them crash-cooled, kegged, and on the CO2 ASAP.

24 hours is what I've heard. I waited about 8 before I plugged mine in it was only on it's side for 30 minutes so I gambled. seems OK but it's only been a week

Turned it on today after 24 hrs of rest and it seem to be running fine. Already getting cold inside. First carboy to be kegged is cold crashing in there as we speak!

Way back in about 1978-79 my wife and I were on the way back to town from picking up new appliances for our new house in another town. A gust of wind picked up our brand new fridge, still in the shipping box, and tossed it out of my pick-up at 60 miles an hour going down the highway! I watched in the rear view mirror as it bounced and tumbled for at least 50 yards before it ended up in the ditch. A couple of highway department guys that were working on a road sign witnessed the whole thing and helped me get it back in the truck. I unloaded it 30 minutes later at my new house, plugged it in and ran it for the next 20 years without a minutes trouble! We gave it away a few years ago and I think it's still running to this day.
I've heard too that you shouldn't try to run one after it's been on it's side without letting it set for a while. But... who knows???

The system carries the lubrication in the refrigerant. If laid down the lubrication is drained away from the compressor and could cause a problem. If you have to lay a unit down it is best to do it on its back, not its side, but in most cases leaving it upright for at least as long as it was laid down will allow the lubricant to move back to the compressor.

In some cases in commercial compressors, the motor is on dampeners for noise and laying it down can dislodge the compressor guts and ruin it.

Back