Refrigerator at Lowes or Menards?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all-world1

Reaction score
This is my first kick at kegging. Has anyone recently perchased a mini-fridge from Menards or Lowes that will fit a typical single keg setup? I'm a bit paranoid about getting stuck with a fridge that has cooling lines running along the top wall where the draft tower hole will be drilled.

I'd go this route:

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2269735-c-7214.htm

It's a scootch wider than your usual mini-fridge, but you could easily get two kegs and the CO2 tank in there. I'd just leave a coiled picnic tap on top to serve until I could make a simple 2x4 collar to put the taps in - and truth be told it's probably stay with the picnic taps for a long while.

Add a temp controller and you're golden.

I would go with Menards... I have never heard of the company but anything is better than supporting Wal-Mart.....

I'd go this route:

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2269735-c-7214.htm

It's a scootch wider than your usual mini-fridge, but you could easily get two kegs and the CO2 tank in there. I'd just leave a coiled picnic tap on top to serve until I could make a simple 2x4 collar to put the taps in - and truth be told it's probably stay with the picnic taps for a long while.

Add a temp controller and you're golden.

Actually, with a 2x8 collar... you can get 3 kegs on tap in a 5 cubic foot freezer. That's the setup I have. 2 ball locks, and a pin lock (or low profile ball lock) on the hump. Requires an external co2 tank though. Nice, compact, and gets the job done... with room to spare for a fan and dehumidifier.

I bought a 5' one last month to be used for a lagering cave. It came from Lowes and it was like 180$. I got tired of looking at Craigslist chest freezers that smelled like dead hooker parts. Too lazy to walk downstairs right now and see the brand but it's the only 5 cuft model they sell in store. It's very nice, small footprint and could easily hold kegs, gas and hoses for 2x5gal cornies/kegerator (with out collar).

It's nice and quiet. Highly recommended when pared with a Johnsons Controls unit.

Thanks for those recommendations.

Now, are cooling lines running along the top an issue? I have no idea how these fridges are constructed.

There are no coolant lines in the lids. They can be removed from the system and a collar put to raise up the lid, then most folks mount taps in the collar. No holes necessary in the chest freezer for this mod, check out Keezer builds to see how they go together.

Latest posts

Back