Refrigerate before homebrew competition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krovitz

Reaction score
Hello fellas,

I'm going to be entering my first competition on Aug. 18th. I have a bottle conditioned, hoppy pale ale all ready to go. I bottled on July 15th. They taste pretty good so far. I'm wondering if I should chill it before delivering it on Aug. 16th. It's about 30 minute drive and I was thinking maybe chill it for a couple days to keep the sediment down during the ride over. I don't know if they'll be keeping the beers cool leading up to the event. Maybe I'm over thinking this. Let me know what you guys prefer to do. Thanks.

Good luck with the comp & congrats on getting in the game! I can't see any harm in chilling beyond the minor issue of a temp change see-saw if the drop-off point isn't keeping them cold. However, IME there's usually a week or so b/n drop off & judging, so your beers should settle before the comp.

Have to agree and every competition I've judged has managed to find reefer space. Anything else would risk damage to the beer and the competition.

Plus, if your beer has hit the sweet point, you'll want to do all you can to lockdown the flavor. Chilling it from now to delivery is #1 on the list.

Thanks for the great advice guys. I can't wait to get some feedback. My friends just keep saying "That was really good...another one?....no not right now." Ha. Thanks again.

Back