Refridgeration???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splunger

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm very interested in starting up a home brew, but I'm worried that I'll need to keep the fermenter in the fridge, which I have no space to do. If anyone can enlighten me I would be very appreciative.

No need for that. In fact, you want the fermenter to stay in the high sixties-low seventies. That's for an ale, which is reccommended for a first brew. If you do a lager, you need a colder ferment, and most likely a dedicated fridge.

If your house stays close to thoughs temps. go ahead and brew some. If your alittle on the warm side you could try the towl/bathtub/fan thing and bring the temperature down some.
I guess I will get to find out soon what fermenting at higher temps does to the taste of my beers. Cause I'm not going to pay to keep my old house at the propper temps when it starts hitting a 100 :D

In general, beer likes to ferment in temps that make people happy. You really don't have to worry much about temperature. Yeast is very flexible. Once you get more experience and really want to tweak things, you can worry about temps, but if it's in the 60-low 80s, you're fine. Cheers! :D

Thanks heaps for your help, think I'll duck out and by a brew kit.
Cheers

Back