Refreezing hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njohnsoncs

Reaction score
I ordered hops to make a hefe and froze them for a few weeks. I took them out to thaw since I thought I had time to brew but I didn't so I put them back in the freezer after about a week thawing. Are they still OK to use?

I ordered hops to make a hefe and froze them for a few weeks. I took them out to thaw since I thought I had time to brew but I didn't so I put them back in the freezer after about a week thawing. Are they still OK to use?

yes - they will be fine. They are dry so no cell damage is happening due to ice crystal formation. Thaw and refreeze cycles of things like fruit will turn them to mush due to the ice crystals destroying the cell structure.

I just pull them out of the freezer to measure on brew day. I usually weigh the FWH addition while mashing and the late boil/WP additions during the boil. I put each addition in a custard cup and stack them in order, then I just pull the top one for each addition.

Back