Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would look for one that has a standard gravity scale in addition to Brix, if you intend to use for brewing.

0-80 is a huge range. You're looking to use it for things that are near the ends of that range, and I'm afraid the resolution on that will make it hard to read to distinguish fine differences. You'd be better off getting a set of refractometers, one reading like 0-20 or 0-30 range (or perhaps a specific one for brewing, with as said a gravity scale), and another reading in the 60-90 or so range.

Refractometers have their place in brewing, esp. when you consider having to extract only a drop of liquid from the wort compared to using a hydrometer where up to 100ml is necessary. Just remember you have to use to a conversion calculator when taking a final gravity reading with a refractometer as alcohol skews the reading. If you are doing a lot of brewing, I'd recommend a hydrometer for both. Although you take a larger sample, it's a drinkable sample, so nothing is wasted. :D

Something I learned when refractometer comparing... The expensive ATC ones in the grey foam lined case many stores and suppliers sell for $65-80 is the exact same refractometer thats sold on amazon for $16 without the case and everywhere in between with different accessories . you can find them with different scales and ranges but they are all made by the same company and have the same quality. no need for 8 wine thiefs when they are costing you $8 a piece included in the kit... Just my opinion. My girlfriend didnt know and over paid quite a bit for the same refractometer she got me for christmas a couple years ago that is identical to the one a brewing friend got for less than $20 shipped...

I only use it for pre fermentation readings myself.

Latest posts

Back