Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I just bought my first refractometer today I was reading the instructions. It has a temp correction chart, or you can take the reading at 20C or 68F without making a correction. My question is once you place a drop or two on the glass does'nt it change the temp. I mean if you put 74F liquid on the glass would'nt the glass cool it down some? I just want to use it as a quick referance to make sure I dont over sparge. Any advice or help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Is there any chance you could return it and pick up the model that has ATC, (Automatic Temperature Compensation)?

John

The instructions say to zero it with distilled water. So I used some distilled water @66F and it read perfect 0.......But then I heated up the water to 140F and it still read 0?

Dark_Ale said:
The instructions say to zero it with distilled water. So I used some distilled water @66F and it read perfect 0.......But then I heated up the water to 140F and it still read 0?

Sounds like it has ATC already.

The ATC feature is not for the benefit of the sample temperature but for the temperature of the gauge itself.

A drop of hot wort on a room termperature gauge will cool almost instantly to that of the gauge.

The ATC feature is for use when you are using the gauge in the 'field' where it might be very hot- or cold. Kinda important for Canada when you're analysing grape juice for icewine.

Back