refractometer pipette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
So after many near misses, I finally lost my refractometer pipette during a brew day.

I can find them online at some places, but shipping ends up being three times the cost of the pipettes, unless I order 500.

Does anyone know any HBS that sell them? I checked several but couldn't find any that sold them. Idea here being throw them in with other items in an order.

Also does any one know what type of store may sell them locally? I don't know where to look for them. If I could find them locally, that would be great.

why not get a baby syringe or something like it?

syringe60cc.gif

How about some drinking straws? Pre-wrapped, sanitary... Use your finger on top to take a small sample.

How about some drinking straws? Pre-wrapped, sanitary... Use your finger on top to take a small sample.

Are we talking about using a pipette to take a sample or to place the sample on the refractometer? I thought it was the latter, but maybe I misunderstood.

-Steve

I just stick the spoon in the wort and drip on the lens. Pre boil I just use my finger. I've never used the pipette.

B

Are we talking about using a pipette to take a sample or to place the sample on the refractometer? I thought it was the latter, but maybe I misunderstood.

-Steve

Actually both. I would use it to take my wort sample and drip it onto the lens. I used my SS spoon (mash paddle / boil stir) last brew, and that was annoyingly over kill. I then tried the probe from my thermometer, and that was annoyingly under-kill.

I appreciate all of the alternate ideas to the pipette. I think we have some syringes left from a vet visit that I may try this weekend if I can find one.

Ah.

I used to use a glass pipette to draw samples, then use the little plastic pipette that came with the refractometer to place the sample. Now that I use ported Better Bottles, I just draw a sample through the spigot. I also gave up using the plastic pipette and now just pour the sample on the refractometer.

The glass pipettes were pretty cheap, and since I bought them with other stuff, shipping was no big deal. I got mine from More Beer, but I think some other vendors sell them too.

-Steve

Steve, I've got a bunch of those plastic pipettes that came with my refractometer. Shoot me a PM with your address and I can send you a couple if you want.

my LHBS sells the pipettes for $.10 each. I bought 10 of them last time I was there, as they are not made to take a ton of samples. I find that by the time I take about 10 samples, and sanatize it between uses, it is starting to split along the seams.

You guys all have some great alternitives here.
Arkador...I wish my LBS sol them, I would buy a bunch

Jason..Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you with my address.

Back