Refractometer > hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
After calibrating my refractometer and hydrometer with the same DI water I still get a discrepancy in the results. On today's brew, I get 1.047 with the hydrometer and 1.044 with the refractometer. Any suggestions?

Most hydrometers are calibrated at 58 or 60*. Usually they say on the device.

If you had a brewer buddy you could borrow their hydrometer/refractometer whichever they have and see what it says.

My vote is for the temperature variable accounting for the difference. I would try to discern what the temperature correction would be for my hydrometer, and then I would just write off any remaining difference to margin of error between the two instruments. In my experience (and IMHO), three points of SG just ain't that big of a deal.

I have found my cheapo hydrometers are not very reliable. My current one measures 60* water at 1.003 and 100* water at 1.001. I would think there would be much bigger difference no?

Back