Refractometer correction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
My wife bought me a refractometer for my birthday today :ban:(yes I have a great wife). I typically extract brew. However, I like the idea of being able to use a couple drops of wort to make a measurement.

I have seen other posts that say they are only accurate before fermentation because of the alcohol after fermentation. Does the Excel spreadsheet on more beer work for FG correction ? Is it accurate? Does anyone else have a conversion that they can tell me about?

I use mine during fermentation and after it's done and with the gravity correction its pretty accurate. If I am really really curious I will take a FG reading with a hydrometer. If you have an android phone the brewzor calculator is a great app and includes a refractometer gravity correction tool.

Most applications can accept a FG reading from a refractometer as well. It is accurate as long as the correction formula is used.

I've used the morebeer spreadsheet and it seems to work fine. I do take both a refract and hydrometer reading before pitching yeast, then let the spreadsheet do the work after based on refract. I did check the first few readings both ways and it worked fine.

Back