Refillable CO2 cartridges?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
Has anyone seen these or used them? I thought they might be nice for my mini regulator setup, instead of being one time use cartridges. How do they get refilled? What kind of adaptor would you use? Does anyone know anything about these?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231128_161556_Temu.jpg
    Screenshot_20231128_161556_Temu.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 0
Never heard of refillable small cartridges before, but it's a wonderful idea if it indeed works!
Do you have a link to that product?

I'd presume there's a spring loaded poppet or more likely a ball lock in the bottom half.
You would also need some adapter to dispense liquid CO2 to the bottom half of the cartridge, from a siphon tank or an inverted regular one, with a bleeding valve and such.

Never heard of refillable small cartridges before, but it's a wonderful idea if it indeed works!
Do you have a link to that product?

I'd presume there's a spring loaded poppet or more likely a ball lock in the bottom half.
You would also need some adapter to dispense liquid CO2 to the bottom half of the cartridge, from a siphon tank or an inverted regular one, with a bleeding valve and such.
Steel Refillable 12/16G Threaded Tank, Rechargeable CO2 Cartridge Gas Cylinder Recycling Capsule

I found this one on Temu, but I see them on Amazon too. I just can't find an adaptor to fill them, and not sure what you would even use. I was just intrigued.

Looks like the reusable cartridges get recharged with CO2 gas at whatever the current tank pressure is, 800-1000 psi. Not recharged with liquid CO2.
Do you know if the original (disposable) carts actually have liquid CO2 in them? Maybe it's only compressed gas too.

I wonder why there are 2 halves to these refillable cartridges, though...

Yes, you would need that tank adapter, as is shown in some of the pics.

Is that $12 for 1 (one) refillable cartridge?

I'll have yo take a look at the original cartridge. They run me like 12 bucks for a pack of 6, and this is 12 bucks for on refillable cartridge. I wonder how to figure out what the normal cartridges are filled with, but I bet it is liquid.

Looks like the reusable cartridges get recharged with CO2 gas at whatever the current tank pressure is, 800-1000 psi. Not recharged with liquid CO2.
Do you know if the original (disposable) carts actually have liquid CO2 in them? Maybe it's only compressed gas too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231128_180818_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231128_180818_Chrome.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 0

I found a new screen shot on how to fill these. Looks kinda cool, but where would you get the refiller bit?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231207_105542_Temu.jpg
    Screenshot_20231207_105542_Temu.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 0
i saw that screen shot a while ago but was unable to find the attachment for sale anywhere. the concept is interesting for portability

i saw that screen shot a while ago but was unable to find the attachment for sale anywhere. the concept is interesting for portability
That's what I'm thinking. I wonder if the place where I exchange my co2 would have one. They have a lot of guages, and attachments and stuff in the store.

The only “reliable CO2 cartridge” is a 5# bottle and regulator.

I can’t tell you how many cartridges of all sizes and mini-regulators of all types that I’ve wasted my time and money on. Tried ‘em all, including Soda Stream. Seldom anything other than heartbreak.

They all seem to find the worst possible time and place to leak or fail. The extra bulk and weight of a real tank and regulator is worth the lack of not being left in the lurch with a full keg with no means to tap it.

The only “reliable CO2 cartridge” is a 5# bottle and regulator.

I can’t tell you how many cartridges of all sizes and mini-regulators of all types that I’ve wasted my time and money on. Tried ‘em all, including Soda Stream. Seldom anything other than heartbreak.

They all seem to find the worst possible time and place to leak or fail. The extra bulk and weight of a real tank and regulator is worth the lack of not being left in the lurch with a full keg with no means to tap it.
I've has some crappy ones too, but I've got a couple decent mini regulators that seem to work nicely now. I'm just looking for something to serve from the pressurized growler, or mini keg set up I've got. They work fine with the mini regulator and co2, but using the threaded cartridges like that can get spendy sometimes. Especially if you have order them online.

i do fine with sodastream and from the amount of products available online i suspect theres a whole minikegging community that use sodastream. although not cheap it is prolly the most available co2 by far. you can get them at hardware stores, staples ,and i think they can deliver in the mail.
also in terms of crapping out at the wrong time. an extra "tank" is only 30$ to keep on hand for emergencies. i have a few extras just in case. i love my soda stream i dont know where i could refill a tank and in the city many people who dont own cars have no way to exchange a full size tank but you could walk to any lowes or staples and get a sodastream. they also fit easily into any fridge and you dotn have to drill holes to make a kegerator. they have there advantages.

heres two of my setups

1701980922224.png

1701980938484.png

they are the best for minikegging

the kegland miniregulator is prolly the best but there are other quality ones available.

cankeg.com has a ton of info videos a blog a youtube channel and products for this type of application

but the little co2 carts are easier to take to a friends house and this would be a neat option to refill them.

I can’t tell you how many cartridges of all sizes and mini-regulators of all types that I’ve wasted my time and money on. Tried ‘em all, including Soda Stream. Seldom anything other than heartbreak
The only problems I've ever had with my mini regulators, cartridges and sodastream adapters have all been glaringly stupid operator errors. I would have committed the same errors if I'd been using a 5 lb cylinder and a real regulator, and probably would have wasted a lot more than 16 grams of CO2 at a time (cost differential applies of course).

i love my soda stream i dont know where i could refill a tank
You can refill those SodaStream tanks yourself, from a regular, larger 5-50# (inverted) tank, with the right kind of adapter of course.

$30 for such a small SodaStream tank is pricey, but still much better than the small 12 or 16 gram single-use cartridges at $2-3 a pop. Alas, they're ultra portable, and contained in the dispenser set-up.

You can refill those SodaStream tanks yourself, from a regular, larger 5-50# (inverted) tank, with the right kind of adapter of course.

$30 for such a small SodaStream tank is pricey, but still much better than the small 12 or 16 gram single-use cartridges at $2-3 a pop. Alas, they're ultra portable, and contained in the dispenser set-up.
i would still have to get a regular tank- lol
also the 30 dollars is the original cost then its 15 when you exchange them its not that cheap but cheaper than 30$ a canister.

FWIW, best price I've found on 16 gram cartridges is 10 for $17 at Bezo-mart. Only use them for serving from mini kegs on the road.
the amazon 30 pack is usually around 30 $ making them a buck a piece and the cheapest available. but i stopped with them as soon as i started sodastreaming . some are down right criminal like the 74 gram co2 cart for 15$

the little carts are convenient at times but pricey. the nitro minicarts are even more money.

FWIW, best price I've found on 16 gram cartridges is 10 for $17 at Bezo-mart. Only use them for serving from mini kegs on the road.
My lhbs carries these for about the same price. Which isn't terrible I guess.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231207_135423_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231207_135423_Chrome.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 0
believe 300 is 66 cents each.
70 cents, but who's counting? Funny, the last time I ordered a ten-pack the larger sizes weren't any cheaper per unit. Not sure about ordering 300 since I only use a couple a month tops, and go for long stretches without using any. But maybe a 30 or 50 pack next time.

I use paintball tanks. have 4 . Find on marketplace and clist Use an assortment of min-regs. I get PB tanks filled at trophy shop or sport stores. No issues with the PB tanks. Fill is $12 for a large tank. Change PB tank O ring every refill
Have sodastream reg with adapter to fit PB tank.
A min-reg for the large 74gram cart, adapter to paintball
16oz threaded from amazon 60 at a time $60 last about 6 months
All on Amazon
Replacements for SodaStream CO2 Tank Paintball Canister Refill Adapter C02 Conversion - Polished Brass

Interstate Pneumatics WRCO2-320 Adapter that converts a Paintball Tank to a CO2 Disposable Mini Tank 74g threads

CO2 Charger, Carbon Dioxide Mini Gas Regulator, Portable Carbon Dioxide Charger Pressure Meter Homebrew Tool with Ball Lock, Beer Kegging Equipment for sodastream​

Last edited:
Back