Reducing Citrus Aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super64

Reaction score
I made a American Pale Ale, with a nice taste and, for me, a pleasant citrus/grapefruit finish, much like Wachusett's Country Ale.

It was a 2.5 gallon batch using one shot of 1/2oz Northern Brewers hops at 8.4% A.A. for 60 minutes, for an IBU around 35.

Some members of the family aren't real fond of the citrus aftertaste, so I'd like to dial it down a little.

What would be the best thing to do?

A. Boil the N.B. hops for less than the full 60 minutes.
B. Use less than the 1/2 oz, keep the boil time the same.
C. Find hops with less A.A percentage boil for 60 minutes.
D. Something else.

I made a American Pale Ale, with a nice taste and, for me, a pleasant citrus/grapefruit finish, much like Wachusett's Country Ale.

It was a 2.5 gallon batch using one shot of 1/2oz Northern Brewers hops at 8.4% A.A. for 60 minutes, for an IBU around 35.

Some members of the family aren't real fond of the citrus aftertaste, so I'd like to dial it down a little.

What would be the best thing to do?

A. Boil the N.B. hops for less than the full 60 minutes.
B. Use less than the 1/2 oz, keep the boil time the same.
C. Find hops with less A.A percentage boil for 60 minutes.
D. Something else.

I'd avoid Citra or Chinook because both of those are very "citrusy".

A. This will produce more hop flavor, not less
B. You could use less than 1/2oz but remember your IBUs will drop and the beer will be less bitter
C. A different type of hops could help, but I've never gotten a citrus flavor from Northern Brewer hops.
D. Maybe up the malt bill to detract from the hop flavor?

I could up the malt bill. I'm a few points short of the upper limit of the O.G., enough to play with some more grains.

Back