Redemption!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeB

Reaction score
OK, long story, sort of. In January of 2009 I brewed an Irish red ale extract kit. In February 2009 I had a massive seizure that nearly killed me. By the time my thoughts turned back to the beer in my fermenter it had been there for over 2 months, resting on the yeast the whole time. I went ahead and bottled it. I tested a bottle or two here and there but there was constantly a terrible off flavor I attributed to the extended time on the yeast. I sort of abandoned the beer, but I never dumped it.

Well, this week the Washington DC area was hit with an incredible snow storm, and being a poor planner I failed to buy any beer for the Super Bowl prior to it hitting. So today, still being snowed in, I turned at last to the remaining red ale gone awry, now over ten months in the bottle. It's not quite a red ale exactly anymore, but that terrible off flavor is completely gone. The beer is actually pretty good. A bit drier and "sharper" than you'd expect from a red ale, but still very much drinkable. My Super Bowl is saved!

Glad you didn't die. Some other dude would be drinking your beer. Enjoy the bowl and stay healthy!

I have an Irish Red in a fermenter for a few months now because I had a triple ankle fracture which kept me bedridden for a few months. After reading your post I decided I will "party-pig it" tomorrow. Hope it is still drinkable. Good to hear you are well. Cheers!

+1 on being glad you are well. It's also great that your beer turned out. Are you going to be brewing more now? :)

Actually, I have a honey brown ale kit from Northern Brewer in the secondary right now. With being snowed in and all maybe I'll have time to bottle it this week. Should be ready by the typical March ice storms we get around here.

Back