Red Zone on Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarmaCitra

Reaction score
So I have force carbonated 8 kegs or so along with keeping them all around 11psi for serving, all on a 5lb tank I store inside my keezer. I know I'm getting close, and yesterday I noticed that the gauge was right on the red zone. This AM I checked again and noticed it's farther in the red zone. I couldn't seem to find any leaks. Is this to be expected? I know they drop rapidly once they get close to empty, but this seems odd. Thanks!

I believe so. Once you hit the red, it means the liquid CO2 is close to or totally depleted. So since no new gaseous CO2 is able to fill the head space, it's going to look like it depletes quicker.

I've read things similar to that, I just found it strange that it went down so fast. I guess I will need to get it filled on Friday, as I can't get it done today or tomorrow. Hopefully my beer stays OK!

No sure if it relates to this at all but with the regulator and tank in the keezer you'll actually get a false reading on your gauge. It'll show being lower than it actually is.

Not that its a big difference so I doubt it makes a difference. In the end your still low on CO2 just not as low as you think.

I've got family coming over this weekend that will likely drink 12+ beers, so I imagine I should go ahead and fill it to be safe?

Yes...when you hit red you are literally running on fumes...all the liquid gas is gone and you are down to your last few pours, and not even that if those fresh kegs are still absorbing CO2 into solution. If you do run out you will be dealing with pretty slow pours as the beer in the kegs will give up CO2 to fill the headspace. You will get pours but might not be the experience you were hoping for with your guests.

As others have mentioned, the gauge will read pretty constant until the liquid CO2 is gone. Then the needle moves quickly.

I'd say if you managed to carb and serve 8 kegs on a 5 lb. cylinder, you've done pretty good.

Back