Red Wheat Malt

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

noslenwerd

Reaction score
Pretty basic question but.. has anyone ever used it? If so what types of beer have you used it in? Local homebrew shop just starting carrying it, and it looks interesting.

Thinking about trying some of it in my recipe that is loosely based on a gumballhead clone

cahrens

Reaction score
I have a beer in the fermenter were I used 2# of red wheat. I will let you know how it turns out

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

And1129

Reaction score
I had the same question as OP! My club got a sack of red wheat malt for free, so I now have about 5 pounds of it that I took home with me and i'm not sure exactly what i'm going to do with it... Is it comparable to White Wheat Malt? I was thinking of just subbing the red wheat malt for white wheat malt in an IPA or something like that where i usually include a lb or two of wheat malt for body and head retention. Or, maybe i'll use all of what i have in a wheat beer to try and bring out the character of the malt? Sill haven't decided, I'll watch this to see what others think.

smalliewader

Reaction score
I've used it for American wheats, Heffe's, Belgians, IPA's, APA's, Browns, pretty much everything. I put a little wheat into most recipes. I don't see much difference, if any between it and white wheat honestly.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Wheat.htm
http://byo.com/belgian-and-french-ale/item/328-brewing-with-wheat

Here are a couple links. Looks like the short answer is that Red wheat has more protein then white wheat. From what I understand more protein can increase the haze of a beer which is usually a good thing for wit biers and hefeweizens.

I've used unmalted red wheat that I get from my friends farm in my wit biers.

I have also noticed that the red wheat berry from my friend is smaller compared to white wheat.

jeff62217

Reaction score
Pretty basic question but.. has anyone ever used it? If so what types of beer have you used it in? Local homebrew shop just starting carrying it, and it looks interesting.

Thinking about trying some of it in my recipe that is loosely based on a gumballhead clone
I've been trying to locate some in hopes of trying a lagunitas sucks clone, but might have to sub carared in place.

grathan

Reaction score
I've bought a sack almost a year ago and haven't opened it yet. I've bought white wheat many times since then.

Some great recipe ideas here, keep em coming!