Red wheat malt? Help, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecky

Just an old guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working in Beersmith with a recipe that calls for red wheat. I am not familiar with it, Beersmith doesn't list it and I don't know what its properties are, ie SRM and the like.

A huge cup of gratitude to anybody who can help.

I searched (quickly, it's bedtime for the kids) and couldn't find much.

Honestly, I've used both white and red wheat interchangeably on the same recipe without any perceptible difference in flavor.

What are you brewing?

Honestly, I've used both white and red wheat interchangeably on the same recipe without any perceptible difference in flavor.

What are you brewing?
AHS Rot Weiss.

I'm just curious as to whether I should just use the wheat malt in Beersmith or if I should do another entry. If the latter, it would be nice to know color and potential gravity.

According to the AHS ingredient listings, white wheat is 2-4L, and red wheat is 5.8-7.3L. I don't expect much potential gravity difference - AHS describes both as being used up to 5% for head retention and up to 50% in wheat beers, and just mentions that red is slightly darker.

According to the AHS ingredient listings, white wheat is 2-4L, and red wheat is 5.8-7.3L. I don't expect much potential gravity difference - AHS describes both as being used up to 5% for head retention and up to 50% in wheat beers, and just mentions that red is slightly darker.
Found that, too. Thanks. :mug:

Back