Red Rye Ale Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_javi

Reaction score
I thinking of brewing a Red Rye Ale. I'm pretty new so I don't know where to start with this recipe. I'm thinking slightly malty/spicy on the front with a semi dry finish. Not real Hoppy. I want the spice from the Rye to shine. I'm thinking something like Saaz at maybe 30 IBU. Or maybe another spicy type hop. I'm open for suggestions. Can anyone point me toward a good base recipe with those characteristics? Thanks for the help. This would be a 5 gallon all grain batch.

Here one I brewed the spring. It was really good. The grain bill might be what you are looking for. I used American hops at a pale ale level.
5 gallon batch
10 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs Rye Malt
.5 lbs Crystal Rye
.25 Chocolate Rye
.5 ozs Bravo @ 60
1 oz Cascade @10
1oz Amarillo @ 0
Wlp007

I've been doing a little more research, and I might just try 90% Red X with 10% Flaked Rye. And I am possibly leaning toward Chinook. I've also got a batch in the fermenter now with San Diego Super Yeast. I may wash that and use it on this. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back