Red Oak Mash Paddle FAIL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhern053

Reaction score
Made a mash paddle out of red oak and was very excited to use it. After doing some sanding, I washed the paddle in steaming hot water and noticed that the wood frays into incredibly small splinters when wet (like tiny hairs coming off the wood).

This is no good! The "hairs" would definitely add tannins to the mash and can probably fit through the false bottom and leach into the boil.

I suggest avoiding oak for mash paddle builds.

I understand maple is a harder wood. Can I avoid this problem with maple?

I've had luck making them out of maple. They're a fun DIY project and make great gifts for brewing buddies.

I bet if you sanded it a bit more, and gave it a nice coat of oil to finish it, then it would fare better.

Mine's steel -

742282_300.jpg

:D

When woodworking, you are actually cutting/sanding through the tiny fibers of the wood. One trick to getting really smooth, unfinished products is to "raise the grain"...which is just what you did. The water helps raise any broken fibers after you have sanded the piece smooth.

All you need to do is allow it to dry completely, sand it all again LIGHLTY with 320 grit in order remove just thes loose fibers....and repeat until it is smooth.

I just made two mash paddles last week out of hard maple, and it still took three iterations of raising the grain to get a fairly smooth finish. Eventually it will need to be re-done, but it should be good for quite a while.

Hope that helps.

edit: forgot to link to this woodworking pdf "Raising the Grain"

When woodworking, you are actually cutting/sanding through the tiny fibers of the wood. One trick to getting really smooth, unfinished products is to "raise the grain"...which is just what you did. The water helps raise any broken fibers after you have sanded the piece smooth.

All you need to do is allow it to dry completely, sand it all again LIGHLTY with 320 grit in order remove just thes loose fibers....and repeat until it is smooth.

I just made two mash paddles last week out of hard maple, and it still took three iterations of raising the grain to get a fairly smooth finish. Eventually it will need to be re-done, but it should be good for quite a while.

Hope that helps.

edit: forgot to link to this woodworking pdf "Raising the Grain"

Agreed, sand, wet sand and repeat until gone.

Hey thanks! I had all but given up hope. I'll definitely do that. Thanks again you guys. Awesome tip.

Latest posts

Back