Red Ale - which crystal malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgerard

Reaction score
I was looking online today for a simple red ale recipe to brew. Here is what I found:

Frank the Tank's Red Dragon Ale

8 oz crystal malt
4 oz roasted barley
7 lbs pale liquid malt extract
1 oz fuggles
1/2 oz fuggles
1/2 oz east kent golding
1/4 teaspoon irish moss
Irish ale yeast

I have two questions:
Can I use coopers light lme for pale liquid malt?
What SRM of crystal malt should I get?

Also I am open to ANY suggestions to make this beer better.

Thanks!

I love me some C120 in a red ale. In my opinion that dark crystal flavor from the 120 is one of the signature flavors of red ale.

I love me some C120 in a red ale. In my opinion that dark crystal flavor from the 120 is one of the signature flavors of red ale.

Man, that would be some dark stuff. I figured the roasted stuff would be enough for the darkness...

(how many gallons is this batch? recipe seems lightweight)

Its a 5 gallon recipe, I will be splitting it in half to fit into my mr beer fermentor since I don't have a carboy or bottling bucket.

What would you do, if necessary, to make it heavier?

Man, that would be some dark stuff. I figured the roasted stuff would be enough for the darkness...

(how many gallons is this batch? recipe seems lightweight)

I love C120 as well. You probably would have to lower the roast malts. However, I think it's worth it. I love the color and the sweetness it adds to a Red.

It sounds like you guys swear by the 120, I think I will try a combination.

6 oz 80c
4 oz 120c
2 oz roasted barley

I'm planning on doing a double red ale. I'm just going with grains I have available. I'm using the following:

8oz C-20
8oz C-60
5.5oz Special B

Hopefully it turns out alright.

What are your base malts and what is the volume?

Pale Extract. But I was thinking about making this batch my first real partial mash and getting 3 pounds of 2-row and do a BIAB style partial mash.

Beer Smith gives me an SRM of around 20, OG of 1.076. I'm shooting for 5.5gal in the carboy.

Pale Extract. But I was thinking about making this batch my first real partial mash and getting 3 pounds of 2-row and do a BIAB style partial mash.

Beer Smith gives me an SRM of around 20, OG of 1.076. I'm shooting for 5.5gal in the carboy.

Once I switched to BIAB, I've never gone back. So simple and amazing results.

Yea I love brew in the bag. I will probably never buy a mash tun, I think its much easier with less equipment.
2 big pait straining bags are only a few dollars, and my bayou turkey fryer pot replacement was no more than $30.

So i couldn't wait to order the stuff online so I stopped by my lhbs and picked up my ingredients there.

I ended up getting black malt on accident so here is the recipe I used:

3.3 liquid light malt extract
6 oz crystal 80l
1 oz black malt (~500l)
1/2 oz fuggle 60min
1/4 oz fuggle 30min
1/4 oz kent goldings 15min
Pinch of irish moss 15min
White labs irish ale yeast (1/2 vial)

I got about 2.25 gals

It looks/ smells great and is actively fermenting! It was actually my first partial mash, I will be doing more for in the future for sure.

I won't be secondary fermenting this, but I might drop a sack in.and dryhop with some of the left over hops.

Should I use the fuggles or the goldings (/neither?) to dryhop?

I threw in the last 1/4 oz of fuggles I had leftover into the brew today for the hell of it.

Any recomendations on how long to dry hop for?

I have had the beer brewing for a week now, krausen has dropped.

I use 120 and a little 30...just because I like the way it tastes. I would use a pale extract but would also consider adding a little Marris Otter, a pound or maybe up to two. It will give it a real "irish" taste.

I use 120 and a little 30 because I like the way it tastes. You can use the pale extract but also consider adding a little marris otter, it will give a real irish taste...a pound would work.

Jamil uses half 40 and half 120 for his crystal additions on more than one recipe as I recall. Good mix.

I just cracked open a red ale I brewed 5 weeks ago.

3.15lbs Extra Light LME
3.15lbs Amber LME (sub in 2:2 lbs Munich/Two-Row malt and .25lbs Crystal 40 for a similar color)
6oz Crystal 80L
3oz Belgian Special B
2oz Roasted Barley

Here's what I got:

chairman_photo.jpg

I bottled this stuff up on Monday night, let's see how long I can wait before popping one open. Hopefully this weekend at the earliest haha

Back