Red ale from northern brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drat12

Reaction score
Hey folks. I'm toying around with a recipe and have some thoughts that I'd like ask some feedback on.

I'm ready to brew an all grain Irish red ale from NB. There's about 1.25 lbs of specialty malt, but about7 pounds calls for pale2 row. I have both pale2 row and MO at home in bulk. Could I mix and do Base grains as 50 percent MO and 50 percent Pale 2 row.? Or some other combination of the two? If so, any suggestions on what percentages and why?

Here's the recipe:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-IrishRed.pdf

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas!

Yep. Maris Otter is a 2 row malt that should do well in an Irish beer. It's a wee bit darker (4L) than a true pale, and has a bready, richer taste that is appreciated in traditional English styles. I'd say that any proportion would do, at your whim.

Thanks, guys. I've read on a number of posts here about using MO instead pale 2 row, but I wasn't sure if there was a rule of thinking or general thoughts about mixing them. If anyone else has any additional observations or experience I would be all ears. Thanks!

I use MO for all of my Irish Reds (not mixed with regular 2 row). I have three different reds that I regularly brew and use MO in all of them. Its a good choice for any Irish/Scottish beer.

Latest posts

Back