Recycled 1 gallon jar fermenters. Good idea or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrunkdutchman

Reaction score
So I'm getting into mead making and it's leaving me with a bunch of empty 1 gallon glass jars. Now I'd hate to wast a possible resource, and I saw these rubber grommets. http://www.homebrewing.org/Rubber-Lid-Grommet-Replacement_p_1822.html It got me thinking (which can be dangerous) why not just drill a hole in the lid and put a grommet in it, and use it as a fermenter? Is there some problem I'm not thinking about? Why don't you see people do this more often? Have you don this? How did this workout for you? Thanks!

The only problem I can think of would be oxidation, the metal caps don't seal very well and drilling through a plastic cap would compromise it's integrity. I use a 6.5 drilled stopper from my LHBS on all my 1 gallon jugs and haven't had any problems with aging over a year. All though you will need to monitor the airlock a little closer because 1 gallon will have a greater temp fluctuation as opposed to a standard 5 gallon batch in a carboy.

What are we talking about here? saving $2 vs buying a rubber stopper for the jugs? Not worth it in my opinion... Grommet or not the metal cap will likely start rusting on the first use after drilling .

So I'm getting into mead making and it's leaving me with a bunch of empty 1 gallon glass jars. Now I'd hate to wast a possible resource, and I saw these rubber grommets. http://www.homebrewing.org/Rubber-Lid-Grommet-Replacement_p_1822.html It got me thinking (which can be dangerous) why not just drill a hole in the lid and put a grommet in it, and use it as a fermenter? Is there some problem I'm not thinking about? Why don't you see people do this more often? Have you don this? How did this workout for you? Thanks!

Are these jars the type that will take a ring and lid of the type used in canning?

Are these jars the type that will take a ring and lid of the type used in canning?

That would mean more like a $5 savings for each jar vs a rubber stopper. They make stainless canning jar lids ive been told but they might cost as much as the $6 for the stopper...

The problem with those grommets is the metal of the cap will cut right through them when you put the airlock on. So they are a one time use thing.

I was just wondering if I could use these left over honey jars or should I just throw them out. Sounds like I should throw them out.

Are the jugs like you get with apple juice or are you talking about the mason style jars with a two piece lid?

If it's the jug style, just buy a few of the caps that was posted earlier from more beer. They're made for airlocks and are only a buck each.

If it's the mason jars, then go with a drilled stopper.

Either way, I wouldn't chuck the jars just because you can't make the current lids work. There's always a workaround. Good luck.

Back