Rectangular or Round Cooler for MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubslover

Reaction score
I've been reading up on this AG stuff and would like to convert.

Since round 10gal coolers are now running $60+ alone and I have numerous rectangular coolers available to me, I've pushed myself to the next segment; getting underway building a MLT.

My question is this, will a rectangular MLT with a proper manifold give as good of an effiency as a typical round MLT?

Anyone with a quick calculation for how much volume (Cu in) a pound of malt will consume? I know 4-12" of malt bed is proper in a MLT so i'm trying to get an idea as to how many lbs min/max my rectangular cooler will handle.

Thanks all in advance, I will continue searching as to not ask too many more newb questions.

Personally I used a round cooler, but there are plenty of people out there that have used rectangular ones, they both work. By the way I was just in home depot about two hours ago and they had ten gallon rubbermaid round coolers for $39.95. As far as which one is better i'll refer you to John Palmer, and his book How to Brew. Here is the link,http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD.html

I have the homedepot 10 gallon that jafo28 suggested. Got it for 39 bucks + tax. It holds heat very well.

The only downside to this it can only hold ~23lbs of grain with a grain to water ratio of 1 (and that's very full). If you plan on doing very big beers @ 10 gallon batches the rectangular cooler maybe a better choice.

$39 at Home Depot here too.

To answer your question, a rectangle cooler will do fine, but just as with any cooler, get in there and rake the grains around every 20 minutes or so.

I'm thinking of stepping up to 15 or 20 gallon batches soon and that will mean I'll be buying a large rectangle cooler.

Thanks guys, I've found the same cooler at my HD and Walmart for the same price.

Does anyone know the volume that a lb of malt will consume?

Latest posts

Back