Rectangular 48 qt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soup67

Reaction score
I brew (for now) exclusively 5 gallon batches and am heading to AG. I like to brew a variety of beers but want the ability to brew higher gravity beers (my first AG batch will have a 12.75lb grain bill).

I have a perfectly good 48 qt rectangular cooler. Should I convert it for AG purposes or pick up a round 10g (or do something else for a MLT)? I plan to batch sparge, if that makes any difference.

My concern is grain bed depth with 5 gallon batches.

Thanks in advance. This site is AWESOME!

soup

I use a similar sized cooler for 5 gal batches I have brewed beers up to the 1.090 range. I use a braid. you don't have to worry about channeling with batch sparging so grain depth is of no concern.

I do 5 gal batches in 48 qt rectangular cooler no problem. Just can't fly sparge cause grain bed is not thick enough. Batch sparge no problem.

ditto. i use the similarly sized Igloo Ice Cube with a DIY copper manifold and it works great.

I do 5 gal batches in 48 qt rectangular cooler no problem. Just can't fly sparge cause grain bed is not thick enough. Batch sparge no problem.

Thanks. Are you using a braid or manifold? Do you tend to towards towards a thinner or thicker mash?

ditto. i use the similarly sized Igloo Ice Cube with a DIY copper manifold and it works great.

The Cube is basically square, right? I'm wondering about a rectangular cooler, which will result in a shallower grain bed.

I fly sparge in mine. Why do you think the grain bed isn't think enough? It's usually a good 6 in. or more in mine.

I do tend to get only 62-65 % efficincy but I think that's caused by my LHBS crush more than my mash tun.

Heres mine and I fly sparge and batch sparge. No limitations here! I do 10 gallon and 5 gallon with no issue ever!

Cooler 003.jpg

Cooler 004.jpg

Cooler 005.jpg

Cooler 007.jpg

I fly sparge in mine. Why do you think the grain bed isn't think enough? It's usually a good 6 in. or more in mine.

I do tend to get only 62-65 % efficincy but I think that's caused by my LHBS crush more than my mash tun.

I've read that unless you're doing higher gravity brew with big grain bill the grain bed is not thick enough and gets disturbed during the sparge. IIRC the minimum thickness for the grain bed is 4 inches.

I've been doing lower gravity batches this summer so have a very small grain bill.

Thanks. Are you using a braid or manifold? Do you tend to towards towards a thinner or thicker mash?

Using CPVC manifold cut with slits and drilled with holes between slits. I face openings down. I constructed bulkhead using Bobby_M's No LeaK bulkhead design. I've never had a single drop leak not stuck sparge nor manifold coming apart. I'm very happy with it.

I've done 1.060 ish brews and have been doing lower gravity brews this summer. The mild I did had a 7.5 Lb grain bill and Biermuncher's Centennial Blond was 5.25 Lbs grain bill. I had no problems with either of those batches.
Oops, the Centennial Blond was an extract with grains batch. I've been mashing with 1.25 quarts per pound.

Using CPVC manifold cut with slits and drilled with holes between slits. I face openings down. I constructed bulkhead using Bobby_M's No LeaK bulkhead design. I've never had a single drop leak not stuck sparge nor manifold coming apart. I'm very happy with it.

I've done 1.060 ish brews and have been doing lower gravity brews this summer. The mild I did had a 7.5 Lb grain bill and Biermuncher's Centennial Blond was 5.25 Lbs grain bill. I had no problems with either of those batches.
Oops, the Centennial Blond was an extract with grains batch. I've been mashing with 1.25 quarts per pound.

Thanks for the great info.

I've been looking for Bobby_M's drawing for the bulkhead you mention and can't find it. (Bobby has a LOT of posts.) I saw it just a few days ago.:mad:

Anyone have a link?

Back