Recover dry hop filter from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shetc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have one of these dry hop filters that I use with my corny keg. Well, for the 1st time, the piece of dental floss that suspends the filter cut as I sealed the keg's lid. My plan was to dry hop for 2 or 3 days and then pull the filter. Any ideas how to go after the filter in a relatively clean way?

Thanks,

Steve

Keg Dry Hop Filter.jpeg

I've got this magnetic telescoping tool in my tool chest (for when you drop a screw into your engine compartment and can't reach). Assuming that lid isn't completely non-magnetic, it would retrieve it pretty quickly I'd think. Might be able to jamb a wooden skewer into one of those holes and lift it out.

If that didn't work, I'd just wash my arm and go for it. Not gonna be pretty, but I'd worry much more about super-oxidizing the beer with some kind of treble hook fishing-line crazyness than would leave it open for a while while you "fished".

I take a piece of copper wire and make a hook on the end. Takes a few tries, but you can grab it

Some good ideas here. I like the magnetic telescoping tool approach but it a cheap stainless steel thing from China so I don't think it will work. The other ideas all involve some degree of oxidation so maybe just sterlize some long BBQ tongs and go for it. I dry hop in the keg for a few days at room temp (76F) after moving from the primary -- it's under very slight CO2 pressure after evacuating the air in the keg. I have a short picnic tap on it so I can taste the beer each day until it is to taste. Maybe after I like the flavor then I should cold crash it in my keezer, and use the tongs to retrieve the filter.

Got both sons coming home for Thanksgiving so it's gotta wait until then. Almost 2 weeks of dry hopping too much? We may find out :D

I'd leave it in, especially if you can keep it chilled. I'd worry more about oxidizing the beer trying to remove the hopper. I leave dry hops in serving kegs for months. I sometimes notice a grassy component, but that is at the very beginning & fades quickly.

I never pull my dry hops out, and I keep a keg in the kegerator for several weeks or more- so I'd just leave them in there (as I always do). Sorry, I guess that's no help!

I never pull my dry hops out, and I keep a keg in the kegerator for several weeks or more- so I'd just leave them in there (as I always do). Sorry, I guess that's no help!

Good enough for me -- thanks for the advice Ms Yooper :mug:

Hate to revive an old thread but would you leave it if there was whole coffee beans in the filter?

I think the same thing I said back then applies: If the keg is cold and going on tap soon you could consider just leaving the beans in the keg 'til it kicks...

Cheers!

I use those to hold wood spirals in my kegged bourbon porter to age. I use flavor-less dental floss to hang it in the keg. The Keg lid seals as normal. When I go to pull it out (quickly) , I purge, crack lid, then hook gas back up to the IN-let and let it flow out the top to try and prevent air getting in.

I think the same thing I said back then applies: If the keg is cold and going on tap soon you could consider just leaving the beans in the keg 'til it kicks...

Cheers!
My only consideration is that making cold brew coffee, even cold in the fridge you get high extraction. Now for cold brew that ground beans, not whole. But I’d fear leaving them in for a porter that won’t go too fast (SWMBO won’t let that happen).

Thankfully had an extra keg handy. I ended up pushing it to another keg.

Back