Recommendations on equipment from gas to eBrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokingDog

Reaction score
Current setup:
Gravity fed, three tier, brew ladder.
HLT - 6 gal stainless milking bucket, handle, ball valve and cover
MLT - 10 gal round cooler, ball valve and braid screen
BK - 12 gal stainless pot, ball valve, one extra bung
Extra 5 gal round cooler
1/2bbl (not drilled yet)

Want to go electric, at least for the HLT and MLT. (herms, rims)

Have read a bunch about different herms setups using a separate hot water vessel, as well as using the HLT. Also a rims cannister.

What are your thoughts on using as much of my existing as possible?

Would like to stick with a single pump and single PID, multiple probes.

Jonsey.

You don't really need multiple probes for a single PID. Probably the best way to go would be HERMs where the PID probe is in the HLT. You can simplify things by locking the HLT temp a few degrees over your desired mash temp. You'll eventually learn your system and what that overage needs to be. Then you flip your switch so that the PID controls the BK element. PID set to manual where you pick the power output level.

To better answer your question, what is your objective in going electric?
I am going electric so I can brew indoors, avoid filling propane, incorporate CIP, and eventuality to add a boat load of automation (i like building stuff). If your current system makes good beer and your are happy with it, then just swap out burners with electric elements and go from there. If you need to better maintain mash temps, then rims or HERMS are a good way to go, but which is a personal preference (HERMS using the HLT is probably the easiest electrically but most expensive plumbing wise)

Thanks for the base input guys. Main reason is to begin automation and gain more consistency, and the recirculation. Eventually brewing indoors without gas would be nice.

Initial thoughts are this, sell the 5 gal MLT and get a 2 gal to put an element in for a HERMS setup. Copper in the 2 gal to recirculate.

Recirc to heat up the HLT to desired mash-in temp. Recirc MLT to hold temps. I think I could get away with one pump and one or two temp probes depending on placement as a start.

Trying to decide what to do with the 1/2bbl, current HLT, etc to maximize the equip that I already have.

I don't do big batches but don't want to rule it out (group brews). Like I said, mostly looking to begin automation and consistency.

Thanks.

Basic diagrams of my concept. An eHERMS setup with one heating element in a 2-3 gal cooler with coil. QD's on the ends of the lines to move from the HLT to the MLT. Want to stick with 120v to be able to go anywhere with it.

Does it make sense where I have the temp probe? (Especially when recirculating both HLT and MLT)

eBrewery_HLT.jpg

eBrewery_Filling MLT.jpg

eBrewery_Recirculation Mash.jpg

I would put the temperature probe on the outlet to the heat exchanger. The way you have it now, you are reading the temp from the vessel, with heat losses on the way to the pump. if you change the location to the other end of the heat exchanger, it will be a more accurate reading.

Back