Recommendations left over hops milkshake IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
Wanna make a milkshake IPA and I have a bunch of different hops left over. If anyone could recommend any suggestions as Iv never made this style.

I was gonna use 6lbs pilsner malt and 1lbs golden light dme

Ik flaked oats should probably be added somewhere.

I have these hops left over

Willamette Pellet Hops 1 oz.
Warrior Pellet Hops 2 oz.
German Polaris Hop Pellets 1 oz.
Amarillo Pellet Hops 4 oz.
Columbus 1 oz.
Cascade 1 oz.
Centennial 1 oz.

I may have extra columbus cascade and centennial.

But ant guidance on this style and when to add which hops and what hops to dry hop with. Ant suggestions welcome

I don't know about milkshake IPA's but I would use the warrior to bitter and then use the C hops and Amarillo hops for flavor and aroma. Willamette may not be strong enough to compete with the others, and I haven't tried polaris before. That should eat up anywhere from 5-9ozs...

I don't know about milkshake IPA's but I would use the warrior to bitter and then use the C hops and Amarillo hops for flavor and aroma. Willamette may not be strong enough to compete with the others, and I haven't tried polaris before. That should eat up anywhere from 5-9ozs...
Any recommendation for which might be good for dry hopping? Maybe I'll do a DIPA

Wanna make a milkshake IPA and I have a bunch of different hops left over. If anyone could recommend any suggestions as Iv never made this style.

I was gonna use 6lbs pilsner malt and 1lbs golden light dme

Ik flaked oats should probably be added somewhere.

I have these hops left over

Willamette Pellet Hops 1 oz.
Warrior Pellet Hops 2 oz.
German Polaris Hop Pellets 1 oz.
Amarillo Pellet Hops 4 oz.
Columbus 1 oz.
Cascade 1 oz.
Centennial 1 oz.

I may have extra columbus cascade and centennial.

But ant guidance on this style and when to add which hops and what hops to dry hop with. Ant suggestions welcome

I know TH uses Citra and Mosaic in there Milkshake beers, but given the hops you have on hand I would bitter with Warrior (maybe @ 60, if you want to) and then use Amarillo, Columbus, and Cascade in the whirlpool and then again in dry hop. Or sub in the centennial (preference)

I know TH uses Citra and Mosaic in there Milkshake beers, but given the hops you have on hand I would bitter with Warrior (maybe @ 60, if you want to) and then use Amarillo, Columbus, and Cascade in the whirlpool and then again in dry hop. Or sub in the centennial (preference)
Yea i saw some guesses at which hop additions TH uses. Also heard they used flaked oats and granny Smith apples in the boil to add body and haze

They are not guesses. TH milkshakes are hopped with Citra and Mosaic. Jean has also claimed that they use malted oats instead of flaked. Don't forget the vanilla and lactose!

They are not guesses. TH milkshakes are hopped with Citra and Mosaic. Jean has also claimed that they use malted oats instead of flaked. Don't forget the vanilla and lactose!
Hmm kinda hard because those hops seem pretty hard to substitute

Ok I just brewed it.
Used the 6lb LME
1lb DME

Used 1oz warrior hops @60
Used 1oz Citra @20
1lbs oats @15
Added 3 pureed granny Smith apples @10
1lbs lactose @10
1oz Amarillo @flameout
1oz centennial @flameout

And I think I'm gonna use 1oz cascade and 1oz Amarillo as dry hop additions

Back