Recommendation for Replacing a 2.5" Tower on my Danby with a 3" Tower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semper Fidelis

Reaction score
This is my first post. I registered because I saw some good advice in some prior threads and wanted to make sure I had the best advice.

I currently have a single tap Danby Kegerator. The tower is single faucet and I'd like to upgrade to a double facet.

A few questions:

1. Thoughts on coupling the 3" Tower to my kegerator. Is it better to just drill new holes and plug the existing? I've seen some people fabricate a coupler out of plywood. Thoughts? Have any seen any other coupler options to convert the tower?

2. One of the reasons for the upgrade is to update the hardware. Thoughts on nice faucets, towers, couplers etc?

3. Currently, the CO2 tank is external to the tank and I don't really want to drill another hole for that. What do you think of air splitter on the inside? Any recommendation on how to address this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

To replace the tower is a cinch. The holes may not line up (so you may have to drill new ones), but they will be covered by the new larger tower usually. The hole is usually big enough to run another line through as well. I bought a dual tower on Amazon for my last keggerator. Works fine. You will need to upgrade on the faucets though to be happy. I had some old Perlicks laying around, but I don't think they make the same ones anymore. Hopefully, somebody will come on and help you with that. As far as the CO2 tank, as long as you plan on having the same pressure for both beers....split all you want.

Is this a twist-lock tower? I'm pretty sure there have been lots of 3" tower conversion threads on those here on HBT.
Yes, new tower flange screw holes are gonna need drilling, but iirc nobody ran into any issues with that...

Cheers!

I had a one tap tower 2.5" with twist lock plastic, and new double 3" tower fit screws ect no problem, loose the twist lock insert. For the CO2 I added a two gauge tap rite inside, only one line in. It sits on the shelf area no problem, just left it floating around.

I had a one tap tower 2.5" with twist lock plastic, and new double 3" tower fit screws ect no problem, loose the twist lock insert. For the CO2 I added a two gauge tap rite inside, only one line in. It sits on the shelf area no problem, just left it floating around.
I was thinking about that idea to put the gauges inside the fridge.

Is there any trick to drilling holes into the top of the fridge? Do I need a special drill bit to thread the holes for the new tower?

To replace the tower is a cinch. The holes may not line up (so you may have to drill new ones), but they will be covered by the new larger tower usually. The hole is usually big enough to run another line through as well. I bought a dual tower on Amazon for my last keggerator. Works fine. You will need to upgrade on the faucets though to be happy. I had some old Perlicks laying around, but I don't think they make the same ones anymore. Hopefully, somebody will come on and help you with that. As far as the CO2 tank, as long as you plan on having the same pressure for both beers....split all you want.
Thanks. I'm definitely going to upgrade the hardware on the faucets. Did you use any kind of special drill bit to drill into the top of the fridge?

Back