Recommend me a dial thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grathan

Reaction score
Do thermometers also need a thermowell or do 1/2" npt ones thread right into my welded coupling?

Is there any that can swivel the face up slightly? My tee is down pretty low.

They must be all be pretty similar. They don't really offer accuracy specs. Just a screw on the back.

Probably get one that goes into a thermowell so I can use it for a digital probe down the road.

Anyone ever use the Concord ones on ebay that swivel?

A300C1_zpse78c3b87.jpg

What I don't understand is what holds the thermomter into the thermowell? If I have a 0.5" threaded port, do I get a threaded thermometer, or does the thermowell thread in there. What holds the thermometer into the thermowell then?

My questions aren't necessarily directly aimed at the swiveling model, Just installing dial probe thermometers in general. Thanks for any help.

Bobby M at brewhardware.com offers quite a few options. I believe he also has a good instructional video on kettle mounting that would help you out. He even has an option to kettle mount a digital CDN inexpensive thermometer.

All that said. I would just use a handheld digital stick like the CDN 450 for under 20 bucks and not bother with a kettle mounted thermo, but different strokes ....
Cheers
Wilser

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Thanks, Just ordered my 3rd thermapen( they're so handy I keep misplacing them because they don't stay in one spot! ) and a backup RT600C. I like the thermomter Bobby sells, but the rt600c is more waterproof as it claims "dishwasher safe". I think its also faster by a second or 2. I had a horrendous brewday(s) this weekend because of a $8 thermometer acting up and wanna make sure that doesn't happen again...

I did look at Bobby's site, and noticed he has thermowells and dial thermomters. I just need a pair that will work together and that will fit into a 1/2" tee for my sightglass. I will go through all the videos at somepoint, nothing is jumping out at me atm. I guess I could just email him again. He got back to me pretty quickly about 1.5" silicon camlock gaskets.

You don't need a thermowell for a dial thermometer, it just threads straight into your T fitting

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Exactly why do you think you need a thermowell? A thermowell allows you to insert a probe into a liquid bulk and get an internal temperature, but it sounds like you are fitting this to a kettle where that doesn't matter

If you want to be able to swap out for a digital probe, brewhardware also sells a 1/2" NPT to probe fitting which you would swap out for the dial thermometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use one of Theese (1/2'' is the size my old dial used), along with one This.
So when not brewing with the Thermometer, you can use it for other things.

I use one of Theese (1/2'' is the size my old dial used), along with one This.
So when not brewing with the Thermometer, you can use it for other things.

Hey,that's kinda neat.
Do you just slide the probe in and out, or do you unthread the compression fitting each time?

Just slide the probe in and out. I don't even put a wrench on the compression nut, just just good and finger tight and I can even pull the probe out a little while mashing so when I stir, I don't hit it.

Back