Recommend a yeast to use, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoB Lever

Reaction score
Prize for a winning beer was 10lbs Stout Malt, 1lb Brown and an ounce of Calypso Hops. I plan on brewing a beer using these winnings, curious what yeast you'd recommend? I usually use White Labs.

Thanks

Looks like ingredients for a Tropical Stout, although you might need to add a few oz black patent and some roasted barley for color/flavor. Good discussion of yeast options here: https://learn.kegerator.com/tropical-stouts/

Or you could be the first (maybe) to brew a Tropical Brown ale, in which case any estery English strain (Nottingham, WY 1098/1099 etc) would work...

Two great yeasts that are good for stouts are good NEIPA too believe it or not. Wyeast 1318 London Ale III or White Labs 066 London Fog. I also like Imperial Yeast's Darkness for stouts and porters.

Sorry for the late response, I've been way. Thanks for the input so far. I've never bought Stout malt before so had to look it up, it seems to be similar to Maris Otter and the Brown Malt is like 65 lovibond. So I was planning on using just these two malts. Nothing resembling a stout. I'm debating between WLP005 British Ale, WLP004 Irish Ale or an American yeast. Thoughts?

Back