Recommend a beer fridge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amenco

Reaction score
This may be a little OT, but hey who doesn’t like having a cold beer while wrenching in the garage?

Yeah, mini fridges are a dime a dozen. The issue I’m running into is everything is made for either 12 oz aluminum cans (and they want you to force fit them in there) or wine. The majority of the wine fridges don’t use a compressor and do not get cold enough. I’ve searched google and the “mans articles” all recommend these heaps of crap honestly.

The fridge is going into my kitchen bar counter area I just built. Will be free standing and visible. I was hoping for glass or wood shelves since I have to stand up 12 oz glass bottles.

Wondering if you guys had any products you preferred in your garages?

Facebook marketplace and find a working fridge in decent condition for $50. Thats what I've done and found some nice stuff out there.

Not sure if you brew or plan on having kegs or just bottled beer in there but I just use a plain-Jane white fridge with the freezer on top in my garage. I can fit 2 kegs and a 5 lb c02 tank in there and still have the door shelves to put bottled beer in and for a fermentor bucket to cold crash the on-deck beer. I still have the crisper drawers in there too for yeast and other stuff that needs cold storage. Having the extra freezer space is nice too for hops and other frozen food that can't fit in the kitchen. I keep the taps in the fridge so I don't have drill through the door and it's been working well for years. Maybe one day I'll drill through but I'll miss my door storage area.

My garage has my old fridge - plain old medium sized one with fridge below and freezer on top. It's converted to kegerator with 3 taps through the door. There is also a side by side that was thought to have quit. I plugged it in and it works, so now keep Hops in the freezer, DME and corn sugar in the fridge and overflow from the kitchen fridge in it.

Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Keep looking for deals. We don't know your space so anything we suggest might not work for you.

Most upright fridges don’t have any plumbing in the sides. On older models, the condenser coil is exposed on the back (so no fan is required); newer models have the condenser under the floor, with a fan pushing the warm out through a grate in the toe kick space.

My old GE fridge with the freezer on the bottom has the evap coil on top and the condenser on the back so I have holes in both sides to accommodate various bits of plumbing and wiring. Having the faucets on the side makes access to the interior more convenient, IMO, than having to arrange the liquid lines with enough slack to open the door. YMMV.

951B4BE6-479A-4049-8F27-91E5F4B588CB.jpeg

I have a mini fridge in the garage, mainly to keep a few beers and bottled water for the warm months. How much beer do you want to have on hand? And if you want to keep other stuff, maybe find a full-size fridge on Craigslist. Some fridges have adjustable-height shelves, which is nice for different sized bottles.

I'm not a fan of those wine fridges, either. Glass doors that let in the light and skunk my beer...no thanks.

I went the route of a old upright freezer and use a Johnson controls controller to keep the temps where they need to be.

I can shoehorn 3 kegs and a 5gallon co2 tank.

I also have two additional shelves for bottled beer, sodas, etc

This may be a little OT, but hey who doesn’t like having a cold beer while wrenching in the garage?

Yeah, mini fridges are a dime a dozen. The issue I’m running into is everything is made for either 12 oz aluminum cans (and they want you to force fit them in there) or wine. The majority of the wine fridges don’t use a compressor and do not get cold enough. I’ve searched google and the “mans articles” all recommend these heaps of crap honestly.

The fridge is going into my kitchen bar counter area I just built. Will be free standing and visible. I was hoping for glass or wood shelves since I have to stand up 12 oz glass bottles.

Wondering if you guys had any products you preferred in your garages?

You need to be more clear, because based on the bold areas I understand this to mean that it needs to go UNDERNEATH a counter, but everyone is giving you recommendations for full-sized fridges.

What size fridge are you looking for? If this is actually an under-counter thing, you should clearly point out what dimensions you're working with, or we can't help you.

The Danby can fridges look nice with the glass front, we have one in our kitchen which works great. Hold a good amount of beer if place the shelves.

https://amzn.to/34LjgGN

Last edited:
Back