Recomendations on my IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100CPU

Reaction score
Going to make this in a few weeks when my fermenter frees up. My friend and I came up with the idea of combining the hops from two pale ales we did (his was a Nelson, Pacifica, Pacific Jade with Warrior as the 60 minute and mine was a Citra and El Dorado hop burst) into an IPA. He suggested doing what Dogfish does and just mixing up all the flavor/aroma hops and doing them as late additions and dry hopping. I decided to throw in some Sorachi Ace in with them just to add to the fruit flavors. Since I only do 5 gallon extract batches and he does the full 10 gallon all grain brews it made sense for me to attempt this first. I already bought all the hops for this but any suggestions that can be provided will help alot.

Hops listed in the mix: 1 oz each of Sorachi Ace, Nelson Sauvin, Pacific Jade, Citra, and El Dorado.

8oz Crystal 20L
8oz Munich 10L
8oz Crystal 40L
8oz Carapils

Steeped at 160 for 30 minutes

4lbs Extra Light DME 60 min
1oz Magnum 60 min
4lbs Extra Light DME 15 min
1oz Hop mix 15 min
1oz Hop mix 10 min
.5oz Hop mix 5 min
.5oz Hop mix flame out/hopstand

2oz mix dry hop for 7 days

Sounds fun. Personally, I'd simplify the grain bill a bit dme + 8oz-1lb of specialty grains. Keeping it dry will help the hops shine.

If you really want to keep the "continuous" hop theme going, you could do your dry hop split between 7 days and 3 days.

I agree with the grain bill. Seems like all you would need is say a pound of a crystal 20 or 40. But hey man it's your beer. You made/created this recipe. Brew it up take notes and have fun. Thats the best part of home brewing. Take pics and keep us updated. Cheeeers!

Ok, so outside of dropping the 20L, which I now realize was pretty pointless, everything else seems good?

100CPU said:
Ok, so outside of dropping the 20L, which I now realize was pretty pointless, everything else seems good?

I'd do 1lbs of 20 or 40. Dump the rest. You have 8lbs of DME. It's going to be a big ipa. Hops look great. But ya everything looks fine.

So I finally brewed this today. I went with 12oz of Crystal 40L, 4oz Cara-pils, and 8oz Munich. Bought an extra ounce of Citra and Nelson (was hoping that the LHBS would have Mosaic and Galaxy but no such luck) and changed the hop schedule to .25oz of the mixed hops at 20, 18, 16, 15, 14, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, and 2 minutes. The big problem was the propane tank died about 30 minutes in but was able to use a bhutane camping hot plate to keep it at 210 degrees until about 6 minutes left when it died. I did keep adding the hops as scheduled. Should I expect any negative effects from this?

Sure it will be fine although I've never done this with the problem you had. My guess of any issues would be a decrease in bittering due to that you didn't boil for 60 min. Let us know how it finishes.

Latest posts

Back