Reciurculating Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayof2day

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just did my first wheat AG and it went pretty well. I wanted to recirculate a bit to remove any unwanted proteins, etc. from the first runnings, but still wanted a nice cloudy wheat beer. I just did the first 3 or so quarts and then continued (batch sparged).

How much do you usually recirculated your wheats?

Matt

The same as other barley beers for me. I only recirculate to get the solids and heavy cloudiness (partciulates) out, then let it run. Usually ~2qts. You can't get the cloudiness out by recirculating, it'll be plenty cloudy!

The wheat contributes a lot of cloudiness via proteins, as well. I've noticed with my hefeweizen that it will be fairly clear, but not totally, if I let it condition in the fridge for a week or so. I then stir up the yeast sediment and dump that in which gives it another degree of cloudiness.

I did an American wheat once that became crystal clear (lost a few bottles in the back of the fridge for a couple months).

Back