Recirculating Wort Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chayes0724

Reaction score
I’ve recently wanted to start recirculating my wort. With everything I do, I always look for ways to keep the cost down. With that in mind I came up with an idea that would allow me to recirculate wort for cheap with supplies I already have. I’m curious if anyone has ever tried this.
My wife recently purchased a sous vide cooker. If nobody knows what that is, it’s basically a wand that you put in water which keeps a pot of water at a constant preset temp (let’s say 154 degrees).
What if I heat a pot of water using the sous vide wand to 154 degrees. I purchase a small pump and some tubing. Hook the tubing up to my Home Depot mash tun, then to a pump then wind some tubing up into the 154 degree water, then out to the top of the mash tun.
Has anyone tried this? Seems like it could be a cheap way to use material I have to keep my mash at a constant temp.

This is called an eHERMS = electric heat exchange recirculating mash system.

Generally you'd want to run wort through a metal coil in the second vessel for better heat exchange, like an immersion chiller.

You'd also need to make sure your sous vide is powerful enough to heat and maintain the water temperature.

Ill definitely look into metal tubing. May be a bit more expensive. But you are right, better heat exchange. The sous vide was able to cook 4 frozen chicken breasts and maintained a constant temp. So it shouldn’t be an issue but I think I’ll test with some water before hand and find out.

What's the wattage on that sous-vide heating stick?
That may give you an indication vs. heat loss from recirculating.

I did something similar but made a mini E Herms set up with a STC-1000 and a hot plate.
IMG_2211.JPG

Worked amazingly well to keep the mash at your desired mash temps whole recirculating so by the time the mash is done, you have super clear wort going into the kettle

Back