Recirculating hops in conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also don't understand that picture in post #39. How do you get the wort to flow up through that mini valve on the right?

Not a big deal I have my pumps set for recirculation and sparge. This pump might be dedicated to dry hopping unless one of my chuggers dies during a brew day and then it might be nice to have it as a backup.

Im not getting why I would not be able to purge. I'd put a gas ball lock post on the center of the T and an elbow to a camlock on the side. That would go to the PVC tube like you have, through the pump, to the racking arm. Seems easy enough to purge first with CO2 with the connection at the racking arm loosened, then to push the purge gas out with beer before starting the circulation.
You're absolutely correct. Lesson learned?... have coffee before posting in the morning.

I also don't understand that picture in post #39. How do you get the wort to flow up through that mini valve on the right?

Not a big deal I have my pumps set for recirculation and sparge. This pump might be dedicated to dry hopping unless one of my chuggers dies during a brew day and then it might be nice to have it as a backup.
The pump takes the wort from the PU tube and sends it to the T & ball valves. With both in the open position, wort flows through the whirlpool fitting (main valve) as well as the recirculation (small valve). This open configuration is for the mash recirculation and allows throttling for both as needed. I built this based on the Brewhardware BIAB setup...works like a charm.

got it! I must need more coffee too. haha I thought that 3 piece ball valve was on your pick up tube but now realize that is probably your whirlpool port while the pickup tube is around the corner out of the picture.

got it! I must need more coffee too. haha I thought that 3 piece ball valve was on your pick up tube but now realize that is probably your whirlpool port while the pickup tube is around the corner out of the picture.
Yes, the PU tube is on the left side of the kettle, upstream from the pump.
FF51375D-95AB-403C-AA8D-BE766B74B7F2.jpeg

Next time I plan to do 2 recirculations, 1 day apart, for 10-15 minutes each time at approximately 1-2 GPM.
OK, I decided to give DH recirculation a try. Unfortunately, I missed noting the schedule described above, so after dumping yeast and with a very heavy DH load, I recirculated for 8 hours at a 50% duty cycle (i.e. each hour the pump was on for a half hour). YUCK! Not only over hopped but way over extracted. A 10G dumper.

From I what I've found in various descriptions, it looks like I can get good extraction in about 6-8 hrs, even at very low temps, maybe 40*F. So.... I'm thinking to try once more like this:
  • Complete fermentation (fermenter will be at 10psi, 70*F)
  • Chill to 40*F for 2days
  • Drop yeast, raise temp to 55*F
  • Add dry hops, about 50% of the amount I used previously (before recirculating)
  • Recirculate for 1 minute per hour for 6 hours. Using a March pump I expect about 1-2 GPM flow when throttled some
  • Reduce temp to 32*F for one day
  • Transfer to kegs -- maybe filtering in the transfer
I want to reduce the risk of ruining another batch ahead of Thanksgiving festivities, so would appreciate feedback on this procedure from those who have been successful with DH recirculation.

Also, has anyone tried a similar method at different tempreatures that can comment on the sensory difference between, say, 40*F vs 65*F?

OK, I decided to give DH recirculation a try. Unfortunately, I missed noting the schedule described above, so after dumping yeast and with a very heavy DH load, I recirculated for 8 hours at a 50% duty cycle (i.e. each hour the pump was on for a half hour). YUCK! Not only over hopped but way over extracted. A 10G dumper.

From I what I've found in various descriptions, it looks like I can get good extraction in about 6-8 hrs, even at very low temps, maybe 40*F. So.... I'm thinking to try once more like this:
  • Complete fermentation (fermenter will be at 10psi, 70*F)
  • Chill to 40*F for 2days
  • Drop yeast, raise temp to 55*F
  • Add dry hops, about 50% of the amount I used previously (before recirculating)
  • Recirculate for 1 minute per hour for 6 hours. Using a March pump I expect about 1-2 GPM flow when throttled some
  • Reduce temp to 32*F for one day
  • Transfer to kegs -- maybe filtering in the transfer
I want to reduce the risk of ruining another batch ahead of Thanksgiving festivities, so would appreciate feedback on this procedure from those who have been successful with DH recirculation.

Also, has anyone tried a similar method at different tempreatures that can comment on the sensory difference between, say, 40*F vs 65*F?
That’s more recirculating than I’ve ever done. Not sure if you already dumped the batch but if not, time and cold temperature may help soften the bite. I would think there’s a fair amount of hop particles still in suspension causing the sharp taste. I’ve had a few batches that I considered dumping but I let them age and they ended up tasting ok after a couple of weeks. The last few batches, I’ve been blowing co2 up through the dump valve to get the hops back in suspension. Seems to work well and much less work.

That’s more recirculating than I’ve ever done. Not sure if you already dumped the batch but if not, time and cold temperature may help soften the bite. I would think there’s a fair amount of hop particles still in suspension causing the sharp taste. I’ve had a few batches that I considered dumping but I let them age and they ended up tasting ok after a couple of weeks. The last few batches, I’ve been blowing co2 up through the dump valve to get the hops back in suspension. Seems to work well and much less work.
I haven't dumped it yet--and it has improved over a few weeks. But it just tastes "wrong", so it's likely to go when I need the room.

I previously "burped" from the bottom of the fermenter (post 26 in this thread). Sounds like you have given up on the recirculation, so perhaps I'll go back to the tried and true. For this batch I could burp 3x/day over ~3 days, instead of recirculating.

Latest posts

Back