Recipie critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
Trying to find a way to utilize the Pacific jade hops I bought but didn't need and kinda created this as a use, and I am looking for some feedback

Name: Majestic Pacifica relazationa

Method: All Grain
Style: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.045 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)
Source: Redtab78

Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 6.34%
IBU (tinseth): 39.67
SRM (daniels): 9.56

Fermentables

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
9 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 64.3%
3 lb American - Vienna 35 4 21.4%
2 lb American - Wheat 38 1.8 14.3%
14 lb Total

Hops

Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.75 oz Pacific Jade Pellet 11 Boil 45 min 27.48
0.25 oz Pacific Jade Pellet 11 Boil 15 min 4.95
0.5 oz Citra Pellet 11 Boil 10 min 7.24
0.5 oz Citra Pellet 11 Boil 0 min

Hops Summary

Amount Variety Type AA
1 oz Citra Pellet 11
1 oz Pacific Jade Pellet 11

Mash Guidelines

Amount Description Type Temp Time
-- Infusion 140 F 70 min
-- Infusion 155 F 20 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.3 qt/lb

Yeast

Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 °F
Starter: No
Fermentation Temp: 70 °F
Pitch Rate:
0.35 (M cells / ml / ° P)
109 B cells required

That sounds like a great Summer smooth drinking brew. I would consider adding more late citra and some Pacific Jade toward the end for a bigger flavor. Late Pacific Jade can add interesting flavors to the Citra.

That sounds like a great Summer smooth drinking brew. I would consider adding more late citra and some Pacific Jade toward the end.
at flameout, or at 5 min? maybe up to .75oz citra and add .25 pacific jade at the 5 min?

At 5 and at whirlpool down to 180F. Your proportions seem good. With your malt bill it seems like a great brew.

I already have all the ingredients so I'm going to make it to this recipe this time. The citra at 0 minutes will stay in until it's almost cooled to pitching temp. I don't whirlpool with my immersion chiller. I'm debating on dry hopping this with 2 oz. of citra but I may just make it to this recipe for the first try. I'm really looking forward to trying this, just need to find time amid all of the honey-do's I've got on my list to get it brewed.

I already have all the ingredients so I'm going to make it to this recipe this time. The citra at 0 minutes will stay in until it's almost cooled to pitching temp. I don't whirlpool with my immersion chiller. I'm debating on dry hopping this with 2 oz. of citra but I may just make it to this recipe for the first try. I'm really looking forward to trying this, just need to find time amid all of the honey-do's I've got on my list to get it brewed.

Please let me know how it turns out for you as well as any alterations you make, this is my first self made recipe and am very anxious to hear of others results too!!:rockin:

Please let me know how it turns out for you as well as any alterations you make, this is my first self made recipe and am very anxious to hear of others results too!!:rockin:

I will post an update after I brew, bottle, condition and sample. Even if I brewed it this weekend it will still be around around mid-July before I get to try it. So stay tuned...

I will post an update after I brew, bottle, condition and sample. Even if I brewed it this weekend it will still be around around mid-July before I get to try it. So stay tuned...

Was wondering if you ever got this all finished up and tasted?

Back