Recipes w/ Pearl Malt???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HickoryMike

Reaction score
Ok guys, I need your help.

I now have a top secret source for 55lb bags of Pearl Malt ($35 bucks!). I just received delivery of my first bag today, but now I need help deciding what to brew with it.

I don't know much about this malt, and searching google and HBT is not helping me much.

From what I have read, the Pearl is a bit malty-er and a bit darker than your average domestic pale malt.

I beg you--give me some recipe ideas!!!

Thanks,

Mike

This is from the Midwest supplies web-site;
Pearl Pale Ale Malt: A floor-malted barley malt from a single barley variety (Pearl), and produced by a centuries-old, family-owned maltster. Fawcett's primary barley variety used by several of England's largest and finest breweries. As a base malt, Pearl lends a dry bready flavor. Recommended for traditional Pale Ales. Lovibond Rating: 2.3-3.0.

I say use it as a base malt for any of your recipes.

Product Description
This is Thomas Fawcett's main barley variety and it is very widely used all over the UK.
It has a dry bready flavor and is perfect for that pub pint of english pale ale.
Use up to 100%.

Bulk Pricing: Order 10lbs or more and receive 10% off at checkout!

Avg. Lovibond: 2.75
Country of origin: UK

(from Rebelbrewer.com)

It says it works best in english ales... since its from there..but it sounds similiar to MO

Who's the maltster?

I use the Baird's Pearl quite often. It's great for English beers and the darker-than-APA American styles. In lighter American styles it's a little too malty but I use it anyway. In very light styles like blondes you can get a little grainy-type flavour that I don't care for too much. I would say it's a little less malty than Baird's MO but a lot maltier than GP.

sounds a lot like MO - floor malted, bready flavor, 2-3L - so I would use it as such

I picked up a 55# bag of Muntons Pearl malt a couple months ago and have used it with great results. I prefer it over any domestic 2Row I've used up to this point. It definitely brings out a bready character in the finish product. My knowledge of base malts is rather limited at this point but I've had no complaints with this malt. I just kicked a pale ale keg of 50% pearle and 50% vienna that was fantastic. I'd say this malt is appropriate for any American or English style beer.

I picked up a 55# bag of Muntons Pearl malt a couple months ago and have used it with great results. I prefer it over any domestic 2Row I've used up to this point. It definitely brings out a bready character in the finish product. My knowledge of base malts is rather limited at this point but I've had no complaints with this malt. I just kicked a pale ale keg of 50% pearle and 50% vienna that was fantastic. I'd say this malt is appropriate for any American or English style beer.

Excellent. I'll be using the Muntons Pearl too.

Hearing that the malt is usable in APA's is great news.

Is this still the going rate for pearl malt and if so where's the source?? I just came across some and it tastes amazing

Back