Recipes for summer wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aki

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to brew a couple of 10L batches (party kegs with integrated taps) for my wedding in August. All the critique and feedback + tips regarding recipes would be helpful 🍺

Blonde Ale
Does the recipe look all right?
IBU ~25, ABV ~5%

Malts:
- Pilsner 3kg
- Maris Otter 1kg

- Strike water 16,5L
- Mash 1 hour in 67 celcius (BIAB)
- Top off/sparge pre-boil until 17,5L

- Boil 60min
- Styrian Goldings 16g @60min
- Styrian Goldings 8g @20min
- Saaz 8g @20min

Yeast 1 pack of US-05.

Ferment 2 weeks, priming to party keg with sugar 4G/L, condition 2 weeks in room temperature and refridgerate.

IPA
Is this too hop-forward for bottle conditioning and storing until August?
IBU ~55, ABV ~5,5%
- Strike water 16,5L, top off/sparge pre-boil until 17,5L

Malts:
- Pale Ale 3,5kg
- Pilsner 0,5kg
- Cara Pale 0,3kg

Hops:
5g Columbus @60min
20g Mosaic @30min
20g Amarillo @10min
20g Mosaic @0min
20g Nelson Sauvin @0min
40g Mosaic, Dry hop 3 days before cold crash
40g Nelson Sauvin, Dry hop 3 days before cold crash

US-05.

My suggestion would be to consider the temperature and conditions.
Is it likely to be above 80F? Are people wearing suits? In that case I would actually suggest taking the blond ale down to around 4% ABV and 20IBUs and brew a more *copper* colored "pale ale" (7SRM) around 5% ABV so dark beer lovers feel included as well as hop-heads...
I wouldn't serve above 5% ABV in summer at an open bar or people might get unsafe...
Maybe bring the pale ale at 5% ABV and 50IBUs...those hops look awesome, leave that as is! I would sub the cara-pale for maybe caramunich I or something just a tiny bit darker.
Best of luck on the rest of the wedding planning!

My suggestion would be to consider the temperature and conditions.
Is it likely to be above 80F? Are people wearing suits? In that case I would actually suggest taking the blond ale down to around 4% ABV and 20IBUs and brew a more *copper* colored "pale ale" (7SRM) around 5% ABV so dark beer lovers feel included as well as hop-heads...
I wouldn't serve above 5% ABV in summer at an open bar or people might get unsafe...
Maybe bring the pale ale at 5% ABV and 50IBUs...those hops look awesome, leave that as is! I would sub the cara-pale for maybe caramunich I or something just a tiny bit darker.
Best of luck on the rest of the wedding planning!

Thank you for the input, I will modify the recipes as you suggested!

Very cool. My only concerns would be quantity and serving format. It sounds like there won’t be a whole lot of beer being consumed at the venue. I’m planning on brewing the beer for my buddie’s wedding next spring for a group of about 150 people. I’m anticipating 4 varieties, and 10 to 15 gallons of each in 5 gallon kegs. There are multipliers out there to figure how much booze to serve people in large gatherings over periods of time. To my next point, confirm you can serve homebrew at whatever venue you’re planning on. Laws and restrictions vary.

Very cool. My only concerns would be quantity and serving format. It sounds like there won’t be a whole lot of beer being consumed at the venue. I’m planning on brewing the beer for my buddie’s wedding next spring for a group of about 150 people. I’m anticipating 4 varieties, and 10 to 15 gallons of each in 5 gallon kegs. There are multipliers out there to figure how much booze to serve people in large gatherings over periods of time. To my next point, confirm you can serve homebrew at whatever venue you’re planning on. Laws and restrictions vary.

There’s going to be lots of bulk lager and cider + gt and aperol spritz, I am just getting comfortable with brewing so these are going to be more like ’taste samples’ :) it’s going to be 70 people total. Good point regarding laws, I’m going to have to look into that.

Back