Captain Shaddock (Grapefruit IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinball9

Reaction score
Brewed this yesterday, was aiming for something like brewdogs Elvis juice but slightly maltier and using the hops I had to hand. So I ended up with this:

25L
Batch Sparged
Mashed at 64C
60min boil

6.4kg Irish Pale Ale malt
200g Crystal (50L)
450g Vienna Malt
250g Munich Malt

60 minute boil
20g Chinook - 60mins
20g Columbus - 20mins
20g Chinook - 20mins
30g Cascade - 20mins
30g Chinook - 0mins
50g Cascade - 0mins
50g Columbus - 0mins

US05 - 2 packs
Protofloc added at 15mins to go

I plan on adding:

20g Cascade - dry hop
20g Columbus - dry hop
20g Nelson Sauvin - dry hop

Also a tincture made up of the zest of 3 grapefruits and vodka and add it to the primary after a week.

Took off like a rocket was bubbling within a few mins and the smell from the primary is delicious, can't wait for this one!

Hello: I realize that this is an old thread but I thought I'd ask how this turned out. I am trying to make a homebrew somewhat close to Widmer Brewing's Shaddock IPA which I picked up in Oregon in probably 2013. I haven't seen it since, and Widmer tells me that it was part of their "rotating" program and thus will be unlikely to be brewed again. I'd like to brew some to give to my Dad. Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated. Thanks! Jeff Shaddock

Back