Recipes based on ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RePete

Reaction score
Is there any brewing software which will give you possible recipes base on what ingredients you have on hand? I am often mentally doing this. I look at what ingredients I have, and try to imagine what I can make. Recipes work just the opposite. They tell you what ingredients you need to make a beer. Maybe this is out there, and I am unaware.

The Holy Grail of recipe generators. I don't believe I've seen one yet.
Iirc, Brewtoad let one search a recipe database using ingredient filters, so not a "generator", but definitely useful.
Sadly, Brewtoad is no longer viable.
The quest continues...

Cheers!

The closest thing you'll come to a reverse-recipe scheme would be to post a list of some of your ingredients here and let people throw ideas back at you. Someone might suggest a style you never thought of.

The HBT Crowd Sourced Style Generator.

Thanks. Just wishful thinking I guess. I tried the Brewers Friend link and filled in a few ingredients. Nothing came up.

I keep an inventory of my hops and grains in a spreadsheet, and use this to pull from when making my recipes. If I want to use something up, I'll make a recipe that uses it.

Thanks. Just wishful thinking I guess. I tried the Brewers Friend link and filled in a few ingredients. Nothing came up.

I just tried the link and it worked for me...maybe limiting the searchable grains, add hops and yeast and see what happens?

There are too many different styles to do this effectively. You could eliminate styles based on missing ingredients but typically you can brew a lot of different things with a random assortment. Of course, this is assuming flexible scale as well. And for any recipe, you can substitute similar things. The poster who suggested that you just post your list here and get suggestions was pretty much on target. Unless you have dozens of different types of yeast, that will probably direct you the best.

I tried the Brewers Friend link and filled in a few ingredients. Nothing came up.

I just tried the link and it worked for me...maybe limiting the searchable grains, add hops and yeast and see what happens?

When I tried it, I used just a couple of ingredients typically searching for either malts or hops. Searching on just character malts (rather than base malts) lead to interesting ideas.

Brewtoad let one search a recipe database
FWIW: Brewtoad is archived in the internet archives (link). I was able to browse for recipes by ingredient (link to example page).

Last edited:
Back