Recipe with low sparge volume, + reduced capacity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskeypm

Reaction score
Dear all,
I found a wonderful recipe (http://menuinprogress.com/2009/07/rye-ipa-partial-mash-recipe.html) for an IPA that I made a few months back. I wanted to make this batch again, but I noticed that the mash/sparging volumes seemed quite low (~8 qts/10 lbs grain / 5 qts/10lbs) compared to 'How to Brew' guidelines (recommends 1.5 qts and 2.25 qts per pound grain, respectively).

So the question is, any guesses as to what kind of efficiency I would get with such small volumes of water? Is it worth using the HTB recommended guidelines and trying to adjust the hops to get the right IBUs?

Lastly, I planned to do the partial mash recipe, but noticed I'm a bit too short on LME, so I planned to use some spare grain (3lbs). However, I don't have the capacity for boiling the collected wort. Is it ok to collect half of the wort in a bucket, then boil down the other half until I can handle the entire volume?

Thanks!
pete

That recipe has 6 lbs of grain and they are recommending to mash with 8.25 qts - that looks correct.

Lots of folks do split boils. Can you find or borrow another pot - it just needs to be big enough to hold the difference. Then just split your hops accordingly between the two based on the volume in each pot.

My apologies, I counted the DME in my grainbill. No wonder it didn't make sense.

I'll try the split boil. I don't have another big kettle, so I'll just toss part of it in a fermenter while I boil in the other vessel. Of course I won't add the hops until I get close to the correct volume overall
thanks!
pete

That sounds like it will work if you wait and start the countdown on the boil after you've got all your runnings added in. I thought you were planning to add the extra wort towards the end of your boil time, so I was worried about you not driving off enough DMS.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back