Recipe Tweak - More Extract or Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywhat

Reaction score
I just finished up a version of this centennial blonde. It came out pretty good, but I'd like for just a tade more 'flavor'.

First, from the extract recipe posted I deviated a bit and used plain light extract instead of extra light, and also upped the bittering hops to a full ounce. I'd like to keep both those changes as I'm happy with the end result. I do want it to be a little less watery, though.

It's hard to explain, but I don't necessarily want a heavier body, but I also don't want a really complex flavor profile either. I also don't want to crank up the ABV very much.

What should I add to give this a more pronounced flavor? Just more extract? Maybe some crystal in addition to the carapils? However I don't want too much sweetness. I'm not too familiar with many other specialty grains so I don't know which would make sense to add.

Crystal will add color and body to your beer, as well as some unfermentables. If you aren't looking for sweetness, I probably wouldn't go there. Certainly you could balance it out with more hops, but then you are moving to greater complexity, which you say you don't want.

I think a better option would be to steep some Munich or Vienna malt for about 1/2 hour at 155. This will give you more fermentable sugars, but won't jack up the alcohol too much. It will darken your beer, but only slightly. I think that would likely hit the additional flavor you are looking for.

Just adding more extract will just make your beer stronger. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not what you say you want.

Do you think 0.5 lb of Vienna malt wouldn't darken it too much, but still contribute enough flavor?

Right now it's a hazy straw color, I'd like to keep it near there, no darker then say a light honey color.

0.5lb of Vienna malt will only add less than 2L to your brew, which accounts for less than 1 SRM. It will increase the maltiness and make it less watery.

OK, so my LHBS didn't have any vienna (just cara-vienna, which I take to be a type of crystal) so I grabbed Munich malt instead.

Now, I've heard that you're supposed to mash this, and that if you don't there will be a lot of starch in the beer and that may effect OG and FG and might effect clarity of the finished beer and blah blah blah...do I REALLY need to mash this?

It should be noted that I've got the munich and carapils mixed right now so I can't mash one and steep the other (if it even matters).

From what I've read mashing really isn't too different from steeping anyways...should I just use a little less water (I'm thinking 1 gallon?) and keep the temp right between 150-155*F for one hour? Is that basically mashing?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Munich nor vienna has enough enzymes to convert the starch into fermentable sugars. You'll still get the flavor and coloring from it by steeping, just not the alcohol bump.

Back