Recipe Screw-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dilligaf76

Reaction score
I have a small problem with a recipe um…math error. I was aiming for a Bell Two hearted clone, 2.5 gallons. I hauled a$$ to the LHBS on my lunch break to pick up my ingredients. In my haste I wrote lbs where I should have written oz. And…. Instead of crystal 20 I used 120. I didn’t realize any of this until it was too late. All the grain is cracked and in the same bag. My question is what can I expect my beer to taste like given my current ingredients?
The recipe calls for : 6lbs US-2 row
1.5lbs US Vienna
5.5 oz US Carapils
5.5 oz US Crystal 20
Centennial: 0.5 oz @60, 15, 5, and 1 with 0.5oz dry hopped.
What I have now is: 6lbs US-2 row
1.5lbs US Vienna
5.5 lbs US Carapils
5.5 lbs US Crystal 120
I obviously can break up the grains (remember they’re all mixed together) and can add more hops. Any Ideas? Worst case I can start over but I don’t really want to have a 3-4 week “experiment”.
Thanks in advance
Jason

WTF. Your LHBS didn't notice this?

That much Crystal basically makes it unbrewable on it's own.

I'd go back & get 1.5 lbs. of Vienna and then measure out 11 oz of what you have already (be sure it's blended real good) & add it to the Vienna. 'Bout as close as you're going to get. The C120 is going to make a different beer but I don't think it will be bad. You can use the blend other ways down the road... Cheers!!!

I'd break it into 2# bags for adding in other recipes.

Each 2# bag will be:

.66# 2-row
.6# Carapils
.6# Crystal 120L
.16# Vienna

You can then build recipes around that.

Back