Recipe Review - Oktoberfest with Koelsch Yale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick604

Reaction score
Greetings -

I am planning on brewing an Oktoberfest ALE using Kolsch yeast since I can't ferment at lager temps in the summer. My thinking is that the Kolsch gives a good clean crisp result, so it should work okay for the purpose. My planned recipe is below, any thoughts on the concept or recipe?

WLP029 Kolsch ale yeast
1 oz Hallertau at 60 min
.33 oz Hallertau for 20 estimated IBU's 21

5.5 lbs German Pils
4 lbs Munich
1 lbs Crystal 40

Estimated OG = 1.052, est ABV = 5.0, est color = 11 SRM

I see plenty of recipes on this site and elsewhere that include five or six types of grains for an Oktoberfest. I am trying to keep it simple and straightforward as I am still learning the different flavor profiles of the grains in use and how they interact.

So, any thoughts on this? Am I on the right track (with the obvious exception of the yeast)?

Thanks in advance!

I use 029 for Kolsch only at this point and have found that I think it does the best for that style. I have also found that I get much better results if I use a secondary with a cooler temp (60-63F). I know others use it for other styles especialy Alt for which I only use 036. For what you are doing you might want to look at the California style lager yeasts. WLP 810 or Wyeast 2112. They both ferment at the 65ish temp. I have used 810 with good success but I would not expect a true German Lager result. If you want a Lager you need to lager. That's my $.02.

If it was me, I'd drop the crystal and add some Vienna into the mix. Not sure what Oktoberfest suits your fancy but the best I've had all use Munich and Vienna.

Agree strongly with makomachine on the crystal. What is it that makes so many homebrewers think that every recipe should have pound of crystal malt? Patrick604, if you enjoy and want the sweeter, syrupy type of American style Oktoberfest then you may want to use a little crystal malt (German CaraVienna or CaraMunich would be better) but keep it to a small percentage, a half pound would be more than enough in that recipe. However, taking makomachine's advice and making the grist bill a blend of Munich, Vienna and Pilsner would make a superior beer. :mug:

G.D. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out soon.

Makomachine & BigEd
I have used Vienna in the past and liked it blended with German pils. I suppose I could use it here as well. I am looking for something with a little richer flavor and deeper color than I envision those three grains producing. It looks like I will have to munch on a little caravienna and caramunich to see which one will give my brew that little extra something. I am still learning the differences in the various grains. What percentages would you guys recommend as a starting point?

Back