Recipe Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upheaval

Reaction score
So I brewed a pretty basic Galaxy Hop Saison, and now that It's all said and done I'm a bit worried that I should have added some sort of orange peel or coriander. Opinions???

I just started brewing AG this month and have already brewed 5, all of which I just added my own ingredients without any help. Im dreading my decision to do so and fear that all my brews will be eh... That being said, here's what I brewed.

27.4 IBUs , 6.1% ABV

Grains:
11lb Pils

Hops:
.5 Galaxy at boil
.6 Galaxy at flame out

Other:
1lb Candi Sugar last 15
4oz Honey last 5 min

Yeast:
Wyeast 3724

Well the yeast is the main thing you need to get right in a Saison and you used one, so you're good there. I prefer 3711, but 3724 is just fine too. Sure, spices and other ingredients are traditional, but aren't 100% necessary. You could always add something to the secondary. Maybe a little zest, coriander, or other spices.

Thanks for the reply... I actually used 3711 in my Hibiscus Farmhouse that's sitting in a carboy as well.

So you think I'm ok as far as the recipe goes?

Thanks for the reply... I actually used 3711 in my Hibiscus Farmhouse that's sitting in a carboy as well.

So you think I'm ok as far as the recipe goes?

It is a little on the plain side, for my tastes with only Pils malt and simple sugars. I like to use some wheat, rye, oats, etc. And I usually add some sort of spices or zest. Not all of these of course, but some combination.

What's the worst that can happen? You end up with an easy drinking Saison.... now worries. I'm sure it will still be tasty. If still fermenting, I'd ramp up the temp to get some more flavors out of the yeast. Some agree and some don't, but I like to start my Saisons around 70F, hold for a day or two then let the temp climb up into the upper 70's and even low 80's.

I'm currently at 75 and can't get any higher really. But I did read that I'll get more out of my yeast at a higher temp. Thanks!

have you read about 3724? it's notorious for sticking in the 1.030's. it will finish the job, eventually, with time and heat (80's or even 90's). alternately, use another yeast to finish the job. you say that you already have a batch of 3711 going - perfect. when you rack you beer off the 3711, rack the 3724 batch on to the 3711 yeast cake.

I actually tend to prefer saisons that get all their spice and character from the yeast rather than spice additions. I usually include munich or another character malt (love usurpers How Rye I Am saison in the database), but simple grainbills can yield great beers too. You could consider dry hopping if you wish.

That's actually a great idea sweet. I actually did read about that, and at the moment the yeast are still going mad (brewed Saturday).

@Chickpad I did forget to mention I still have quite a bit of Galaxy left and had planned on dry hopping!

Back